400+HP on stock block??

• Sponsors (?)

400RWHP is quite possible on a good tune. But that still doesn't mean it would last forever.

Now that's the entire engine: block, crank, rods, and pistons. The block alone can handle insane amounts of power. I've never heard of anyone splitting a block apart 5.0-style. :D

People have been running 400RWHP with absolutely no problems for a few years on their 4.6l. #1 problem with running that much hp on a relatively stock 4.6l engine is detonation. A good safe tune should resolve that issue. If you plan on pushing the car on a regular bases (street racing/track), I'd start saving for some forged pistons, rods, cams, etc. that are better than stock and can handle the stress better. I may get a supercharger in the future if I don't like the '06 limited edition models (Mach 1, Boss, Cobra, etc). I don't plan on pushing over 360rwhp, so my engine should be ok with a good tune. I don't street/track race so I won't be pushing the car much. I just want the power to throw some fillings out of my passengers when I feel like it. :D

You can pop a motor with 300 rwhp just like you can with 400 rwhp. The key is a good tune. I made 437 rwhp on my 03 GT before I decided to tear it apart and do something new. The car had about 9k miles on it at that time and had been blown since 1500 miles. I would recommend the Cobra Killer Kit as it seems to be the "safest" combination out there as of today with the steeda adaptive tune.

One thing I always say (and not many people agree) is that when you start playing with these things like this you need to be ready to put another motor in it in the event of the worst case scenario. Good luck. :)

micool said:
You can pop a motor with 300 rwhp just like you can with 400 rwhp. The key is a good tune. I made 437 rwhp on my 03 GT before I decided to tear it apart and do something new. The car had about 9k miles on it at that time and had been blown since 1500 miles. I would recommend the Cobra Killer Kit as it seems to be the "safest" combination out there as of today with the steeda adaptive tune.

One thing I always say (and not many people agree) is that when you start playing with these things like this you need to be ready to put another motor in it in the event of the worst case scenario. Good luck. :)

I made 430hp to the wheels with good custom tune. On the street I had no problems but when I went to the track and pushed it hard. It snapped my rod like twig the piston dropped into my oil pan at 4000 rpm. I crack my block chipped my crank took out my LH head so I would not risk it with out changing the rods at least. Just my .02 I agree with micool have another motor ready to go just in case.

micool said:

Micool pretty much summed it up above. The key is in the tune and how you treat your car. If you do a 5k launch from every stop light and run your car hard at the track every weekend.....sure, the chances for a problem greatly increase. Just be prepared at any time for the worst. You have to be prepared to pay if you want to play when it comes to these cars. I bought a brand new '02 GT and put a Cobra Killer Kit on it when it had 900 miles. I have 8,000 miles on the car today and no problems, none, nada. I couldn't be happier. (Having Cobra Killer as my crewchief doesn't hurt either :D ) Just make sure you listen to the right people when making a decision on getting blown........(ie. not some jackass that doesn't even have a supercharger) Good Luck on your choice !!

Pfft, I'll listen to the MAC CAI guys. :notnice:

(BTW - finally ripped my CAI off and went back to bone stock.....silencer, paper filter, etc. I swear it feels like it has more torque now around 4k. :nice: )

Tcoupe351 said:
I made 430hp to the wheels with good custom tune. On the street I had no problems but when I went to the track and pushed it hard. It snapped my rod like twig the piston dropped into my oil pan at 4000 rpm. I crack my block chipped my crank took out my LH head so I would not risk it with out changing the rods at least. Just my .02 I agree with micool have another motor ready to go just in case.

What were your mods at the time?

my car puts 395hp 399tq to the wheels with no problems yet. although its not a daily driver i wouldnt go much more without beefing it up. the main thing is people sometimes run them too lean and wonder why they've bought 2 or 3 new motors, while still going to the same tuner.

My car was up to 385rwhp/371rwtq SAE on my automatic 2000 GT and I had a total of 12K miles blown in 1 year when the #1 Piston decided to go. Total miles on car were 33K. The automatic sucks down 5% so this would be like 405rwhp on a stick car.

The Ford dealer told me the Piston was not grenaded, but it had a few grooves in it. :shrug:

I think the rings went from all the pressure being forced in, the car had been chewing :shrug: 1 quart of oil per week (200-250miles) for the last 6 months.

I have one of the best and most respected tuners around, but mechanical failure has nothing to do with the tune, but with the amount of power produced.

I know some guys who have 2-3 years and 30K on their supercharged 400rwhp+ combos, but just be prepared for the unexpected.

Luckily I am having the Piston replaced under warranty and they are re-ringing the whole engine. :)
I am in very well with my Ford dealer as I have bought about 10 cars from them ( thru my business) in the last 2-3 years and all are serviced at the dealership.

I say do it, get a safe tune, and enjoy it. Hopefully you are lucky, if not, just build it up to handle more power. :)

Good luck,
Howard