4r70w Differences. Could Use Some Advice

IH8BOWTIES

Jul 6, 2008
There are so many threads about trannys, it's ridiculous. I'm tired of sifting through all of them trying to find the info that I need. Here's the issue. I have a 96 gt with a 4R70W that has gone bad. Gonna cost me 1000 to 1500 to rebuild it. I can't find any 96-97 GT 4R70W's but there are a plethora of crown vics out there. What are the difference between the crown vic and mustang 4R70W's? Any help appreciated. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

I'm in the same boat as you. My 96 GT convertible's 4R70W is slipping bad. Working on pulling it out right now. I went to the junk yard and found lots of CVs, Marquis, and Lincolns that are supposed to have the 4R70W. For some reason the linkage on the trans looks different than mine, so not sure they will work without doing something to fix this. Found a place I can get a rebuilt trans for $900, just waiting to get mine out first. Hope someone has the answers for you...

I was told today that the gear ratios were different but I haven't seen anything that backs that up. Everything I've seen says the gear ratios are all the same in all 4R70W's and that the difference was in the tail cone for a different slip yoke in the cv vs the mustang.