5.0 Coyote Engine Failure

ABFetter

Apr 13, 2015
Hey guys,

I am new to the forum. I have a 2012 Mustang 5.0 and after picking it up from my 55K service noticed a knock. After taking it to the dealer I found out that the vehicle needs a new short block. I have noticed that many people with a similar knock had a short block done first and then after it failed again Ford ended up giving them a long block. Has anyone had a short block only replaced and did it work? The short block is under warranty but i am seriously considering ponying up the cash for new heads as well. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? It definitely heartbreaking to have a catastrophic failure on a car I love and have babied from day one. I have already had the replace the AC compressor. I guess you could say that new 2016 Camaro is starting to sound really good, as much as I hate to admit it. At least the LS is pretty much guaranteed to run. I would greatly appreciate any insight or advice you guys might have. I also tried posting this earlier but it didn't seem to work. Sorry for the double up if you see it twice.

Thanks,
-Adam

• Sponsors (?)

I too have been let down by our Blue Oval friends. I couldn't wait to get my hands on the new 5.0 powered Stang! I purchased a 2011 Kona Blue GT Premium. I was as happy as could be.

This is Mustang number 4. My 90 LX 5.0 was totalled by a kid that T boned me at a red light. The 93 LX 5.0 convertible is still alive with over 200K miles on it. The 2002 GT had 237K on it when I sold it. The current owner says it's showing no signs of dying soon. The point is I take care of my cars.

About 2 weeks ago I started hearing a tick in my engine when it was warmed up....similar to the noise a bad lifter would make. Next oil change was coming up soon, so I opted to change it early to see if that helped.......it didn't. So yesterday I dropped the car off at the dealership and today I got the shock of my life.......at 75,000 miles I need an engine.

I've read the posts all over the internet about the ticking/knocking 5.0 coyotes. This is obviously a systemic issue with this motor.

Ford....you got me this time but you won't get me again. I'm fixing it, selling it, and warning others that the coyote is a risk that you just shouldn't take.

Anybody want to buy a 2011 Kona Blue GT Premium with 75,000 miles on it and a new engine?

JB

First and foremost......thank you for your response!

That brings up an interesting point. Has this issue been pinpointed to be caused by piston failure? I've read about bearing issues, oblong cylinders, cylinder #8 failures, cylinder #4 failures.

The only common denominators have been the knocking/ticking sound and that the answer has been engine replacement.

Also, did they upgrade the Pistons on the standard engine? I've only read that to be the case with the aluminator series engines.