5.0 Engine in 2011...

• Sponsors (?)

while I am kind of tired of all of the posts of the "new" engine, I have a legitimate question....

The new 5.0 engine is, supposedly, rated near 400hp. There are rumors of whether or not this will be in the base GT or a special edition vehicle. No one will know until it actually comes out what it will be in.

My question is....if the new engine will warrant and command a higher price tag, depending on what that price tag is, why would someone not just buy a turbo or SC kit for their 4.6? You can pick one up for $5k.

opinions?

while I am kind of tired of all of the posts of the "new" engine, I have a legitimate question....

The new 5.0 engine is, supposedly, rated near 400hp. There are rumors of whether or not this will be in the base GT or a special edition vehicle. No one will know until it actually comes out what it will be in.

My question is....if the new engine will warrant and command a higher price tag, depending on what that price tag is, why would someone not just buy a turbo or SC kit for their 4.6? You can pick one up for $5k.

opinions?

What kills me is how much doubt there is in the Mustang community about this. I frequent Blue Oval News and Ford truck sites and they all talk about the new engines which will be available in the Mustang, F150, etc and that the 4.6 and 5.4 will no longer be made after this year. There seems to be more belief about the 3.5 Ecoboost engine being in the base Mustang than there is the 5.0 and yet yesterday on Blue Oval I read that it has been confirmed the base Stang and F150 will have the 3.7 V6, not the 3.5 as has been widely purported.

I seriously doubt the new motor will warrant a huge price increase. Ford as always uses the same motor in many vehicle platforms thus spreading out the cost of R&D.

opinions?

For the warranty, maybe better mileage and I bet resale would be better.

What kills me is how much doubt there is in the Mustang community about this. I frequent Blue Oval News and Ford truck sites and they all talk about the new engines which will be available in the Mustang, F150, etc and that the 4.6 and 5.4 will no longer be made after this year. There seems to be more belief about the 3.5 Ecoboost engine being in the base Mustang than there is the 5.0 and yet yesterday on Blue Oval I read that it has been confirmed the base Stang and F150 will have the 3.7 V6, not the 3.5 as has been widely purported.

Does anyone really believe that the EcoBoost will be the base engine? A D35 or D37 seemed like a pretty good base v6 for a long time. I thought the theory was that the GT would be offered with they buyer's choice of the EcoBoost or the 5.0. Or that one of those two would be the GT and the other a (near GT price and spec) special edition.

I seriously doubt the new motor will warrant a huge price increase. Ford as always uses the same motor in many vehicle platforms thus spreading out the cost of R&D.

Agreed. There is no reason that the 5.0 has to cost more than the 4.6. It might even be a bit less since it replaces the 4.6 & 5.4 it could offer some economies of scale.

For the warranty, maybe better mileage and I bet resale would be better.

The Roushcharger and FRPP whipple kit keep the factory warranty. I dont know about resale. I doubt there would be that much difference.....unless someone is looking for an "unmodified" mustang. Is that what you are referring to?

Since we do not know any REAL specs on the "5.0," better mileage is debatable.

Best advice....wait till it gets here, whether the price is higher (Which in my opinion I believe it will be just for the fact of 5.0 being on the body of a mustang------the IT factor) Gas MPG ill bet will be around the rated MPGs of 20 or so. You can debate it all you want ( Which is FUN I agree) but until official specs are released its all here say.

I feel this is the best thing ford could do, rebirth the 5.0, the mustang I feel will double in sales and be the talk of all media. This is legendary, so lets hope FORD dosnt overthink it and talk themselves out of it. Untill its here, its all here say !!

The Roushcharger and FRPP whipple kit keep the factory warranty. I dont know about resale. I doubt there would be that much difference.....unless someone is looking for an "unmodified" mustang. Is that what you are referring to?

Since we do not know any REAL specs on the "5.0," better mileage is debatable.

I would assume that a car with an aftermarket blower had been driven had and expect more mechanical trouble than I would expect from an otherwise identical car.

Because of when it was designed (better tech, higher gas prices & impending CAFE hikes) I expect the 5.0 to be more efficient than the 4.6. And lowering fiction and parasitic loads also frees up some extra power at WOT.

I also think the extra load of spinning a blower should knock the 4.6's mileage down a touch.

I dont know who ever thought the ecoboost was going to be the base V6... that is almost laughable.. that is a high cost engine no way that motor will be in a base mustang..

the 3.7 v6 N/A is probably going to be the base motor.. makes sense and can compare to the camaro v6

BTW the reason to wait for the new motor is if this motor is what I think it's going to be then it's going to be a sick motor.. much better platform to build off of than the 4.6

thats IF it's a destroked 6.2 I might be very wrong on that.. if it's another modular bored a tiny bit I will pass with my money.

it's time for the modular to go... WE NEED the big bore 6.2 based motors to compete in the truck market.. and ford would be retarded not to destroke the 6.2 for the mustang.

Plus I have heard some rumors on the net that the mods have already gone out of production..

From my understanding the 5.0 has been used by Frpp Racing for awhile

That's a different engine altogether. The FRPP 5.0L is basically just a bored/stroked version of the current 4.6L Modular casting.

The new "Coyote" engine starts with a clean slate, and is said to have nice wide bore spacing for some serious displacement potential. :nice:

That's a different engine altogether. The FRPP 5.0L is basically just a bored/stroked version of the current 4.6L Modular casting.

The new "Coyote" engine starts with a clean slate, and is said to have nice wide bore spacing for some serious displacement potential. :nice:

Exactly.. this is not the cammer.. for one that motor would be way to expensive for production..

If its a brand new motor ..dont you think you should wait a while to make sure all the "bugs" have been worked out ???

NAH..

the 3.5 and 3.7 cyclone WAS a all new motor and they have been fine.. I have yet to see one with a problem..

If its a brand new motor ..dont you think you should wait a while to make sure all the "bugs" have been worked out ???
You must not be familiar with what Ford puts their engines through before they are deemed worthy. :rlaugh:

300 hours, WOT, fully loaded cycling between highest HP RPM and high TQ RPM. Several engines have to withstand that before Ford allows it to be used. :nice: