5.0L....302 what's the difference

Methodical

Dec 1, 2003
Clinton, MD
Ok everyone I know this may be a foolish question but what's the difference between a 5.0L and a 302. I thought they were one in the same. I ask this question because when I order parts I am sometime asked if it's a 5.0L or a 302. My response to them is aren't they the same. Help. Bare with me on this one. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Methodical said:
Ok everyone I know this may be a foolish question but what's the difference between a 5.0L and a 302. I thought they were one in the same. I ask this question because when I order parts I am sometime asked if it's a 5.0L or a 302. My response to them is aren't they the same. Help. Bare with me on this one. Thanks
They are the same when the part store ask you this question. 302 is the cubic inches of the engine and 5.0 (actually 4.9) is the oil capacity. So your engine is a V-8 5.0 liter 302 cubic inches.

mustang479 said:
They are the same when the part store ask you this question. 302 is the cubic inches of the engine and 5.0 (actually 4.9) is the oil capacity. So your engine is a V-8 5.0 liter 302 cubic inches.

Yes and no, both 302 and 5.0L mean the displacement of the motor. They are simply two different units of measurement. It's like saying "I just ran 1 mile" vs saying "I just ran 5,280 feet." Like mustang479 said, when someone says 302 or 350 or 393 or 427, they mean cubic inches, when they say 5.0L the "L" = liters. So when someone says 5.0 or 302, know that they mean the same thing - the displacement of the motor. For example, the newer Firebirds/Camaro's are 5.7L, but that doesn't mean they put 5.7 Quarts of oil in their car, simply that the engine displacement is 5.7 L (approx 350 cubic inches). Hope I clarified it, not made it more confusing for ya :nice: . Check out www.howstuffworks.com and goto their "Auto" section, LOTS of good resources to give you an idea on how stuff works :D .

Take care,
Matt

Both are a measure of the collective combustion chambers of all 8 cylinders, which is 5.0 liters or 302 cubic inches.

By the way, for those of the anal variety out there, 5.0 liters equals 305.11872 cubic inches, and 302 cubic inches equals 4.94889333 liters. My guess is that the precise cubic inch spec for our engines is around 302.4 cubic inches, which would round up to 5.0 liters.

GRGT1994 said:
My guess is that the precise cubic inch spec for our engines is around 302.4 cubic inches, which would round up to 5.0 liters.
The precise spec is 4" bore, 3" stroke. ((pi * 4) * 3) * 8 = 301.592895. The decision to call it a 5.0L was a marketing one.

MysteryMachine said:
What bugs me is when you get parts and you say 94 Mustang GT and they go V-6 or V-8. V-8 JACKASS I said GT GT=V-8 :doh:

Yeah there's been times when I say I have a 95 Cobra and they'd asked is that a 4.6 - the Ford dealership can you believe it. I'd have to remind them that it's the "Last" 5.0 made. Now, when I go to say a Autozone and I'd say "I have a 95 Cobra" - they'd ask is that a Mustang - just reminds me to be very very careful when looking for parts. I always have to tell them to let me see the screen.

Thanks everyone. I'm familiar with 302 being the cubic inch of the motor and 5.0 being the liter. I just thought maybe I was missing something when I was asked these questions. Peace.

Swarzkopf said:
"5.0" and "302" describe the same displacement Ford V8.

However, in my head, when I hear "302" I think of an old carbed motor, whereas when I here "5.0" I think of the EFI 5.0 HO in our Mustangs.

That's what I think of too.

The 5.0L makes me think of a Fox body or 94-95 engine.

When I hear "302", it makes me think of a 60s-70s engine, like a Boss 302.

Methodical said:
Yeah there's been times when I say I have a 95 Cobra and they'd asked is that a 4.6 - the Ford dealership can you believe it. I'd have to remind them that it's the "Last" 5.0 made. Now, when I go to say a Autozone and I'd say "I have a 95 Cobra" - they'd ask is that a Mustang - just reminds me to be very very careful when looking for parts. I always have to tell them to let me see the screen.

Thanks everyone. I'm familiar with 302 being the cubic inch of the motor and 5.0 being the liter. I just thought maybe I was missing something when I was asked these questions. Peace.

Same here, when I goto to a speed shop I mention it's a 95 GT 5.0L MOTOR ... because most of the sellers are honduh addicts and they dont know **** about V8s.