5.4 Triton For My Mustang Engine

I HAVE A 96 THUNDERBIRD WITH 96 STANG GT ENGINE IN IT. UNFORTUNATELY ITS GETTIN TIRED. IS IT POSSIBLE TO PUT A 1997 5.4 2V IN IT. JUST THOUGHT IT WOULD BE MORE ECONOMICAL IN LONG RUN.
20160618_200531.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Possible?

Probably.

Easy?

Probably not.

Worth it?

Definitely not.

There are more bolt-ons and performance parts for the 4.6, it bolts-in, they're more plentiful, they weren't truck-only like the 5.4 2v, I could go on and on, but the short version is, the 5.4 isn't really a better choice.

Had a buddy that put a 5.4L in his bird 10-years or so ago. Not much faster, but it did have a fair bit more grunt down low. He had to cut a hole in the hood to make it fit though.

Honestly, if you're looking to pick up any measurable amount of power from your car, I'd look into a PI head and intake upgrade. Barring that, a power adder is the only way to go. The MN12's are heavy and their drivetrain eats up a lot of power....so basic bolt ons aren't really felt on them like they are on a Mustang. And if you do plan on PI heads, make sure you get them from a Romeo engine, otherwise you'll need a new timing and valve covers too.

I had an Allen Supercharger on my '96 Cougar, with a PI top end and it felt like a whole different car. Made the little 281 feel like a 460.

Start saving your pennies. ;)