5 Lug Swap For 93 Cobra?

Hey guys,

I'm still debating on whether or not to go 5 Lug when it's time to do my brakes..
I have a 91 GT and it has the 1993 Cobra 4 lug disc brakes front and rear. I love it. The brakes work great. But, they're getting pretty worn.
I'm definitely on a strict budget, so I'm looking for the least expensive route while still retaining a great brake system. If I do the swap, I will definitely be using parts from the junk yard with the exception of pads and rotors.
I got to thinking, is there any way I would be able to retain my current Cobra calipers and just swap out the spindles, axles, and rotors?

Thanks in advance for the help.

• Sponsors (?)

Personally I would just replace the worn parts and stay 4 lug. Unless you want to upgrade for the wheel options. The 4 lug disc brakes are a descent brake setup.

Personally I would just replace the worn parts and stay 4 lug. Unless you want to upgrade for the wheel options. The 4 lug disc brakes are a descent brake setup.

What he said. I wouldn't worry too much about wheel selection any more though. There are TONS of wheels out there for 4 lug these days. A lot of them you can order in either. I can't really see upgrading something that works pretty well already.

If you're just itching for a look change, then it might be a good time to buy slotted/drilled (whichever you like the look of). That may have some sway if you're thinking about looking for wheels.

What he said. I wouldn't worry too much about wheel selection any more though. There are TONS of wheels out there for 4 lug these days. A lot of them you can order in either. I can't really see upgrading something that works pretty well already.

If you're just itching for a look change, then it might be a good time to buy slotted/drilled (whichever you like the look of). That may have some sway if you're thinking about looking for wheels.

Thanks guys. I am already running cross-drilled rotors all the way around, was mostly just considering doing the swap for more options in wheels, although i Have really taken a liking to the deep dish SCs.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks guys. I am already running cross-drilled rotors all the way around, was mostly just considering doing the swap for more options in wheels, although i Have really taken a liking to the deep dish SCs.

I shy away from making wheel suggestions (you can imagine the number of times I've seen it done) but that wheel has always been in my top 5.

The deep dish repros are even better IMO.

lrs-1007sca_3873.jpg

Attachments

• lrs-1007sca_3873.jpg
    lrs-1007sca_3873.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 355
Reactions: 1 user
Thats what I was thinking. Would be nice to do something different. Just need to determine how much more expensive it would be, which depends a lot on whether or not I can re-use my cobra calipers!

If you don't have the brackets for those calipers it's like starting with nothing. If you do then it might be worth putting together the rest of the kit.