65-66 Side Window Removal Steps

65-66 Side Window Removal

I finally found the picture that accompanied a step-by-step side window removal. It is a little bit tricky to do the first couple times, especially if you don’t know why the window won’t come out.

1) Remove all window stops, bumpers, guides, and weatherstripping.

Pb280217.jpg

2) I decided to take out the quarter windows first so that I can have room to shift the side window loose. So roll down the side window entirely.

Pb280219.jpg

3) Make sure you unbolt all the bolts…

Pb280220.jpg

Pb280221.jpg

Pb280222.jpg

Pb280223.jpg

4) Once all the retaining hardware is removed, carefully lift and wiggle the quarter window out of the door shell.

Pb280224.jpg

5) I then removed the felt strips to allot for more wiggle room for the side window. Make sure you remove the Phillips head screw near the outer edge of the door.

Pb280227.jpg

6) Using a thin, but strong bladed screwdriver or the correct trim removal tool, carefully pry between the felt strip and doorframe. It’s best to work from the outside in, but in some cases the central attachment points are looser than the ends. Be very careful not to pry too hard or you could dimple the door shell or ruin the felt strip.

Pb280225.jpg

It is best to pry right near the felt attachment point seen in the following picture.

Pb280226.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

7) After removing the felt strip, roll up the side window to allow access to retaining bolts and rollers.

Pb280218.jpg

8) Next, remove all window stops, definitely remember to remove this stop at the front of the window (believe me I forgot it initially)

Pb280232.jpg

Pb280233.jpg

9) Again using a bladed screwdriver or pliers, remove the retaining clip on the window rollers.

Pb280231.jpg

Carefully remove the window scissor arm from roller and window track. WARNING! After removal, the window will not have any support and will fall into the door.

Pb280234.jpg

10) Hold the window, or have a helper hold the window.

Pb280236.jpg

11) Slide the window back towards the rear of the car. I had also removed the rear window weather seal to allow the rear of the window frame to slide back far enough.

Pb280238.jpg

12) Lift the front of the window up out of the door shell.

Pb280239.jpg

13) Rest the front of the window frame on top of the door shell and prepare to remove the rear of the window frame.

Pb280237.jpg

Pb280246.jpg

14) Rotate the front of the window up so that the bottom of the window frame is perpendicular (90 degrees) from the top of the door shell.

Pb280242.jpg

Once the window is rotated, you’ll have enough room near the front of the door shell to wiggle the back of the window frame loose.

15) This punch-out in the window frame is the reason why most restorers get frustrated when they cannot get the back part of the window out of the door frame.

Pb280247.jpg

Pb280248.jpg

16) The rear quarter windows are easy to take out. Again, remove all the window stops, guide, or bumpers.

Pb280249.jpg

17) Remove the bolts and retaining hardware from the window frame to the window track.

Pb280251.jpg

18) Slide the scissors & rollers out of the window track.

Pb280257.jpg

19) Lift up and wiggle the window and frame loose. I’ve had much success rotating the top of the window frame forward to avoid the roof lines.

I hope this helps you all out!

66stangbluework said:
good post, i need a bigger monitor though :(

yeah me too! (seriously, I do!)

but you can always edit a photo in MS Paint, then select Image -> Stretch/skew to adjust the % of how long / wide you want it... just FYI.

Great project, thank you so much for explaining this and utilizing photo's. I really can't express how much frustration you may have saved me for when I'm able to undertake this task. (which'll be fairly soon when I do power windows) Thanks again!

OboeBrian - can you repost the pictures? I am doing this process right now but having issues. Found your explanation which sounds great but would be easier if the pictures were still available.

thanks
BradWilks