65 C4 grren dot transsmition

tomypasta

Dec 14, 2008
Florida
I am looking to buy a c4 grren dot for my 65 fastback with a 289. Can I use a 65-66 green dot from a 6 cyl? are the trannys the same for v8 & 6 cyl? I have located a few locally but they are from 6 cyl cars and I am not sure if they are the same. Please help. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Green Dot? That's a new one to me...What does that mean?

If I remember correctly, the large 6cyln (240 cubic inch I think) uses the same bellhousing bolt pattern as the small block V8.

but was the 65 66 tranny on a 6 cyl the`same as was on a v8

yes and no. there were some differences like an extra clutch in the clutch packs, larger accumulator piston, etc. since hte bellhousing is removable you can swap the bells with no problem and then use the six cylinder trans behind the V8. as long as you are not making too much more power than stock it should hold up for some time. the only thing i am not sure about is the output shafts, if they use the same spline count or not, i think they do.

ForceFed70 said:
Green Dot? That's a new one to me...What does that mean?

the old C4's used a dual range valve body, where by you had two green dots in the shift quadrant. the larger dot as i recall allowed all three gears to shift normally, where as when you used the smaller dot the trans started off in second gear, essentially giving you a two speed trans with reduced torque multiplication to help prevent wheel spin on slick pavement. it was also called "snow drive".