65 Convertible - Frame Damage

Griff Rolland

Mar 25, 2014
I recently began a project of restoring my 65 Mustang Convertible and have run into some frame damage of the front unibody. As I am unable to make such repairs myself I was forced to bring it into a mechanic. The car, previous to my restore project, was stored in a garage that left the undercarriage covered in rust. Most of it looks to just be surface rust, but there are a few spots that are rusted all the way through and the frame has been patched before. The quarter panels also need work, but the my main concern is the frame.

Now, I don't have much expertise in frame/unibody work, but his estimate for simply patching the damage was $4,000 - $6,000 and after a few years it would require replacing and a total restore. He also gave an estimate of between $20,000 - $30,000 for a full frame restore that would completely solve the rust damages of the unibody. Do these estimates seem correct? I realize that going off description alone it's difficult to determine an estimate, but any estimate would be appreciated!

Brakes (front disk) are in the process of being replaced. Fuel tank, fuel pump, and lines are all waiting to be installed. Power steering was leaking and still needs work. Dual exhaust has to be reworked due to poor installation from previous owner.

• Sponsors (?)

Pics will help as certain individuals who have posted above have extensive knowledge about these cars' bodies and how they are put together. Look over his blogs...
In My Opinion -
If the whole body needs replacing, the complete body kit from Dynacorn is 15,000.
http://www.dynacornclassicbodies.com/ford_models2.html
If your talents lie in the take it apart and put it together category, you could purchase this body shell, have the prep work and paint done, and then start disassembly and reassembly. As you take it apart, you will most certainly find hidden damage, and have to replace parts you didn't plan to at the outset.
A complete restoration will probably cost 20 to 30,000,

Would the temporary patchwork be a feasible option? I don't currently have the money to afford a complete restoration, but will probably be in a better spot to do so in 5 - 10 years. How long on average would this type of work last?

I won't be able to get any pictures for at least another week as I don't have any currently and I won't have any time for the next week...