65 Coupe Troubles

kmichener

Apr 11, 2015
So I'm new to the site and still green with rebuilds. I have a 65 c code coup so should be a v8 289 car. When I bought it the guy had an i6 that supposedly came with the car? anyway I left the engine since he had no way to load it and I wanted a v8 anyway. So I now have an 87 302 and c4 I'm getting ready to drop in it but I'm worried about the steering actually being for the i6 set up that was supposedly in the car. If so how do I tell if it's for the v8 or i6 before I have an engine and tranny that won't fit correctly in the car? Would the i6 have fit with the v8 steering?

Fun facts about the car. Has a 7.8 (wcz-e code on the tag 2.80/1 ratio) rear end plan on swapping for a 9"... 5 lug front drums (goes with the vin code). And had the I6 throttle linkage.

• Sponsors (?)

The newer engine should fit regardless of the engine.

The steering will fit. I hope it is a manual non-PS?

I assume the diff is a 1965? The newer stuff is not going to fit. I'd stay period correct with a 4-speed which you need to work within the build..The body will have bolts on the upper frame for a Z-bar.clutch.

It actually came with the c4 in 65. At least that's what my build plate says 6 on the trans and 6 on the diff.
As for the steering yes standard non power steering.