65 Door Crash Bar Help

Slobin3d

Aug 29, 2011
I got a clean OE drivers door at a swap meet. It's in really good shape, needs painted and a minor door ding touched up. But when we were looking at it to swap mechanics over my buddy noticed/ said that the crash bar is pulled away from the outside skin.

I was looking at it today trying to figure out how it's supposed to be attached. Right now I can easily get my fingers between the bar and outside skin, and there's nothing between them, no adhesive or tabs. Although everywhere around it there appears to be seam sealer. If I try to push the bar tight to the skin it feels like it will buckle, and doesn't appear to be bent, and the door looks to have never been wrecked or repaired, it still has factory appearing print inside the skin.

Should that bar be touching the skin? If not, how far away should it be? Best way to fix it??

• Sponsors (?)

It actually does not attach ,it had a tar paper type material stapled to the bar .Some one probably pulled the bar back and removed it .It will probably be hard to push back if it is bowed If it isn't pulled into the window mechanism you could probably just slip some type of insulating material between it and the door .