Electrical 65 Mustang Fog Lights Blinking - Help!

EKyellow65

Dec 23, 2016
Hello Everyone,

I have recently installed fog lights on my 65 mustang non-GT coupe. I've been having trouble with the fog lights blinking after a few minutes of them being on and the engine running. When they blink, there is a very clear "click" from the circuit breaker which makes me think there is a short somewhere but I'm driving myself insane trying to find it.

I am using the Alloy Metal Products wiring harness, switch, and circuit breaker kit. I've wired the "Bat" terminal on the circuit breaker to the black with orange stripe larger gauge wire that supplies the headlight switch using the supplied tap. The "Aux" terminal is wired to the supplied harness which connects to the switch, and then to the lights. The circuit breaker is mounted / grounded to the wiper motor under the dash. I understand this is the factory location. The switch is mounted to the factory Auxiliary switch hole under the dash near the parking brake.

My initial thoughts are that there is a short somewhere, or the circuit breaker isn't getting a good ground. I moved the circuit breaker to another screw in the dash in case the ground was bad, but alas, it started blinking again. I can't seem to find any wires that are getting hot anywhere near the tap i used, or the circuit breaker itself. I pulled the gauge cluster again and there are no scorched wires either. I have run the fog lights with the headlights on, and it seems like they don't blink as much or at all when I'm running both. I haven't run them much this way, just a couple minutes.

I closely followed this video for the install.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3WSVE8Q5LM&t=882s

Does anyone have any insight into what may be my problem?

Much thanks and Merry Christmas.

• Sponsors (?)

Hello Everyone,

I have recently installed fog lights on my 65 mustang non-GT coupe. I've been having trouble with the fog lights blinking after a few minutes of them being on and the engine running. When they blink, there is a very clear "click" from the circuit breaker which makes me think there is a short somewhere but I'm driving myself insane trying to find it.

I am using the Alloy Metal Products wiring harness, switch, and circuit breaker kit. I've wired the "Bat" terminal on the circuit breaker to the black with orange stripe larger gauge wire that supplies the headlight switch using the supplied tap. The "Aux" terminal is wired to the supplied harness which connects to the switch, and then to the lights. The circuit breaker is mounted / grounded to the wiper motor under the dash. I understand this is the factory location. The switch is mounted to the factory Auxiliary switch hole under the dash near the parking brake.

My initial thoughts are that there is a short somewhere, or the circuit breaker isn't getting a good ground. I moved the circuit breaker to another screw in the dash in case the ground was bad, but alas, it started blinking again. I can't seem to find any wires that are getting hot anywhere near the tap i used, or the circuit breaker itself. I pulled the gauge cluster again and there are no scorched wires either. I have run the fog lights with the headlights on, and it seems like they don't blink as much or at all when I'm running both. I haven't run them much this way, just a couple minutes.

I closely followed this video for the install.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3WSVE8Q5LM&t=882s

Does anyone have any insight into what may be my problem?

Much thanks and Merry Christmas.

Could be the lights, wiring or the circuit breaker is bad. Needs some electrical troubleshooting. Try breaking up the circuit into small sections at a time.

Start by disconnecting the lights from the circuit at the radiator support, turn on the switch, go for a drive and listen for the circuit breaker sound. If good, plug in 1 light at a time and do it again. If you instead hear the circuit breaker without the lights being plugged in, back track and unplug them closer to the circuit breaker. That is the simplest way possible to troubleshoot.

Could be the lights, wiring or the circuit breaker is bad. Needs some electrical troubleshooting. Try breaking up the circuit into small sections at a time.

Start by disconnecting the lights from the circuit at the radiator support, turn on the switch, go for a drive and listen for the circuit breaker sound. If good, plug in 1 light at a time and do it again. If you instead hear the circuit breaker without the lights being plugged in, back track and unplug them closer to the circuit breaker. That is the simplest way possible to troubleshoot.

Excellent Ideas. Thanks, Dennis112! I'll give this a try after I get home.