67 Auto To Manual Conversion

red'67coupe

Mar 18, 2014
Hey guys,
I know this topic has been covered many times, and to be honest I've probably read through most of the posts on the Internet involving this swap, but some info just isn't there...

So I have a 67 coupe that I'm doing a I6 to v8 swap, also going from the auto to manual setup. I picked up a toploader from another 67 (verified on David kee) and also a Lakewood scattershield I'd like to utilize also. I have a 351w out of a '70 Galaxy that I'd like to put in instead of the 289/302. Stock suspension in front, 5 lug drum brakes all around and manual steering....

First question has to do with clutch linkage. Will a stock zbar setup (for 289/302) work for my application with a 351w w/scattershield combo, or will there be some fabrication to make it work? I've looked into the cable clutch setups, but Im not a fan of how it looks and I don't know if I would like to deal with the fabrication work done to the scattershield like how Mustang Steve explains... Everyone wants long tube headers, but I'm willing to do the Hedman shorties if I can just get the stock z bar setup correctly.

I found the pedals/pedal support/hardware on Craigslist for a decent price, but all this is quite new to me so I'm not too sure what parts I'd need from there to the motor. Cj Pony Parts has an equalizer bar kit that looks like it has most things I'd need for this setup minus a few things....

Any input would be appreciated, especially from someone who has done a project similar to mine. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

You'll have to find out if the 351 block has the hole tapped in it where the z bar fits into it. If it does not then you'll have to pick up a bracket for it. Modern driveline has everything you'll need, and has great service and can answer all your questions. I did the same thing and used a z bar in my 65. I definitely recommend it over a cable or hydraulic clutch in these old cars. I'm running tri-y headers in mine and my z bar clears just fine. I cant say what headers would work on the windsor without having issues

Thanks for the reply. I sent them an email about my situation... They look like they deal with a lot of t-5, or tko conversions though. Are you sure they have products meant for toploader setups?

You are correct. That should do the trick. Make sure you get a clutch fork assembly thats a "push" style for your toploader. I'm not sure if they were that way originally or not but I assume so. I highly recommend a rollerized pedal assembly as well. Having real bearings in your pivot points makes the old z bar assemblies feel much smoother.

The z bar for a 69 mustang with a 351 should be what you need . A 70 351 will have the place for the pivot ball .
I use a 38 rod threaded on both ends with heim joints on the pedal and the z bar ,it helps a lot in removing the normal friction when pushing the clutch. You will need the V8 motor mount at the frame ,they are the same 67 -70.
You will also need a manual transmission mount ,3 speed and 4 speed is the same mount .You should be able to use headers for a 69 Mustang with a 351 also .67-70 is basically the same engine compartment .