67 Coupe Handling Issues

Cbernabe

Oct 30, 2015
Hey guys,

So I just picked up my first mustang, 67 coupe with a 289. I plan to update suspension and brakes to autocross it and some light track use. I took it for the first drive yesterday, and found some terrible issues with the handling. I want to find out what is causing this before I start any major modification.

The car is running stock suspension with 19" wheels, 235 in the front and 245 in the back. Past about 40mph, the steering is terrible. The car darts all over the road and I can't really correct it, it is very difficult to keep in a straight line. Is this because of the massive wheels? I am going to be changing those out right away, but could there be another issue causing this? Im beginning to worry about the steering box, tie rods, other suspension components..

Or would the 19" wheels and stock suspension cause this. I plan to run 17s and hopefully a coil over conversion. Any help is appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

Check the idler arm ,a worn out idler will drift .The valve assembly on the power steering is also some thing to check this will cause it to drift back and forth if it has a lot of play .The steering box may need adjusting .Look over the tie rod ends as well. Large tires may increase any issues the front may have .

Reactions: 1 user
My car did that when I first got it. I found a miss mash of new and used parts under the front end. New Steering valve, new tierods, old idler arm, fubar drag link, after market disk brake spindles. Also, turns out someone swapped in an old Falcon steering gear box. Most of the slop came from the missmatch of tapered hole sizes vs the tierod ends. . .~$1000 later, all new front end is tight like a tiger! It's scary responsive.