67 Fastback Console Help

Freeraceer01

Jan 9, 2017
New to forum, Just finished up installing rear fold down seat, now to tackle center console from ACP, trying figure out how to get it in car with the 4 speed shifter in place, I has tilt wheel, so that helps, was thinking removing one seat, any help would be appreciated

Attachments

• 20170108_191349.jpg
    20170108_191349.jpg
    415.4 KB · Views: 90
  • DSCN1003-2.JPG
    DSCN1003-2.JPG
    702.6 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_1625.JPG
    IMG_1625.JPG
    973.7 KB · Views: 90
  • Sponsors (?)

Since nobody has responded, I'm going to take a stab at this, but be forewarned I don't own a fastback. I've certainly been able to put my aftermarket (MustangstoFear) console into my convertible with the top up -- though it's obviously easier to do with the top down. I helped a buddy install an original console on his 4 speed 20 years ago.

CJ's has some comments on their page: http://www.cjponyparts.com/center-console-assembly-manual-transmission-coupe-fastback-1967/p/CON17/

As they say, you will want to make sure that you have the radio mounting sorted out in advance because you don't want to have to do this all over again. Same with the wiring for the courtesy light at the back of the console.

Also, on the originals at least, it appears that the "shift plate" -- i.e. the trim around the shifter -- came out, which would give you much more room to work with than what I anticipate below.

With those disclaimers, I suggest the following steps and want to strongly advise that everything will be easier if you have a helper.

First, of course, remove the non-console radio bezel.

Second, fold both seats forward and put something over the seatbacks to protect the upholstery.

Third, bring the console in from the passenger side, rotate it so that it is oriented correctly on the transmission tunnel (this step is one where a helper ... um ... helps).

Fourth, chuck the wheels, put on the parking break, and put the shifter in neutral or maybe on of the gears where the shifter is pulled back (mine is an automatic and I have to put it in low gear with the handle removed, but I think you'll just need to move the shifter around -- again helper would be great).

Fifth, maneuver the assembly forward, messing with the shifter position and angle of the console such that you get the shifter through the hole and can get the bottom front under the dash (obviously easier with a bigger shifter hole, but I don't know about the repro part).

This is basically what I had to do with my aftermarket console. It certainly would have been easier if a seat were already out for some other reason, but I don't think it's worth it just for this task.

Hope this is of some help. And good luck.