Attachments

• 11112.jpg
    11112.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 5,100
  • 424242.jpg
    424242.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 7,089
  • Sponsors (?)

Very interesting, I've thought of the same myself. But, how much cutting/modification wold have to be done? Also would it be worth the money. Would you get more performance w/ better significantly mpg?
Is the entire engine/turbo lighter than the V8?

I also noticed that the vehicle is right hand drive, I suspect this has something to do interference w/ the steering column.

I myself like the idea of modern technology in a classic.

:notnice:

The 2JZ-GTE is great engine, but IMO....not in a Mustang for all the reasons people make fun of Supras(powerband, exhaust note, etc). Judging by the huge e-brake handle next to the shifter, it's destined to be a drift car, also :notnice: IMO. With RHD, it appears to be in or headed for either Britain, Australia, or Asia. With that in mind, I have heard people say that American drivelines and parts are not always easy to get in Asia, but Japanese drivelines are. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume the 2JZ was just easier and/or cheaper to get than a Dart-blocked 302/T56.

its junk if you ask me, if you want a DOHC turbo straight six...stick with a Ford engine...try the 4.0L DOHC Falcon XR6 engine...makes a good 60HP more stock anyway, dont use that thing in a classic mustang(not to say the 2JZ snt good, but keep it ford at the least):notnice:

p.s. a lot of 302 aftermarket parts are made in china...I'll be willing to bet finding parts would be easy

its junk if you ask me, if you want a DOHC turbo straight six...stick with a Ford engine...try the 4.0L DOHC Falcon XR6 engine...makes a good 60HP more stock anyway, dont use that thing in a classic mustang(not to say the 2JZ snt good, but keep it ford at the least):notnice:

p.s. a lot of 302 aftermarket parts are made in china...I'll be willing to bet finding parts would be easy

Oh how my friends and I long for Ford to bring the Falcon to America with its sexy 4.0L DOHC I6 motor.....

As far as this car goes..... its definitely interesting and you can't fault them for putting that motor in the car if it is going somewhere that the V8 parts are hard to find and they are racing.

As for me, I don't like it... no sir I don't like it....

Low-quality parts maybe. Also, the XR6 turbo engine only has a 20hp advantage over the 2JZ, not 60. It is about the only modern I-6 I would consider putting in an old Mustang, though. :) And that 1000bhp one with the glowing header on YouTube.....:drool:

not a bad swap, but if i ever build a turboed six, it will be a ford 250 with a classicinlines aluminum head. we have a guy on the fordsix website that has a falcon with a turboed 250 that runs in the 10's, and is still a street driven car.

I know the junk in BlottoZone is often Chinese. I was talking about parts needed to make the same kind of power a stock 2JZ can handle like blocks, heads, pistons, rods, cranks, cams, etc. The high-end parts available here are either made here or in Australia. With Chinese manufacturers' reputation for cheating on metallurgy, I wouldn't use any of the above parts in a performance engine if that's where they were made or if that's all I could get. I would use a 2JZ-GTE or RB26DETT instead.

p.s. my bad, the 2jz engine was 320HP for the US and europe...the japaneese engines were 280 though,

The Japanese market engines have the same power, they were just rated lower on paper per the "280hp agreement." Another example is the Skyline Nismo 400R; it was also officially rated at 280hp while the actual output was 400hp.

The export version of the 2JZ-GTE achieved its higher power output with the use of newer stainless steel turbochargers (ceramic for Japanese models), revised camshafts, and larger injectors (550 cc/min for export, 440 cc/min for Japanese). The mechanical similarities between the Japanese-specification CT20 turbine and export-specification CT12B turbine allow interchangeability of the exhaust-side propeller shaft. Additionally, the export-exclusive CT12B turbine received more durable turbine housings and stainless steel turbine and impeller fins. Multiple variants of the Japanese CT20 turbine exist discretely, which are identified with the B, R, and A part number suffixes (eg.: CT20A).

if you can believe anything on wikipedia anyway, not claiming to be an supra expert, but those do seem to be enough to account for the difference

p.s. I dont believe the output of a lot of these engines is higher than claimed without dyno proof to back it up, sorry, I just have not been brainwashed by the "japaneese engines are better than everyone else" hype that seems to have gripped the world

that's not what he's saying. he said he would rather see ford in there, just that the 280 is low, they say everything is 280 just like ford wasn't allowed to have Speedo markers past whatever MPH but they put notches without speeds just for us.

The main reason for this 2JZ swap is a budget.
Ford V8 part and drivetrain is very hard to find or very expensive here.
You can buy 2JZ engine + drivetrain and suspension for less than T5 transmission would cost.

This is some pic of the rear IRS set up.

As for what kind of power this engine now make? If you notice this engine has a medium size single turbo instead of stock twin turbo set up, it should make about 500hp.

dscn1360.jpg

dscn2461.jpg