68 Timing Cover + H20 Pump On 5.0. Bolts Sizes And Locations

65-Fstbk

15 Year Member
May 20, 2007
Vancouver, B.C. Canada
Hey guys,

for anyone who wants to compare, here are the bolt lengths and locations I figured. I mocked up the timing cover and water pump and then used a thin wooden dowel to check depth. The ran to the local hardware shop to grab some bolts. This is a 1968 timing cover going on a 1987 5.0HO (no EFI). Water pump is an aluminum hi-flow, standard rotation, left hand (DS) inlet.

Hope it helps anyone that may need it.

Timing cover bolts resized.jpg
Water pump bolts resized.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

This is super helpful, and way over what I usually do. I have a collection of SB Ford bolts from engines I tore down but never rebuilt for whatever reason (e.g. bent crank spun a bearing and wiped out the rear main). When I need a water pump or timing cover, or oil pan, or etc. bolt, I go to the bucket labeled Ford S.B. and rummage around until I find the bolt that fits.
One can also acquire extra bolts by going to one's favorite used part-o-rama (Pic-a-part around here) and when purchasing that much needed doohickie that broke on your ride, buying the bolts along with said doohickie. Thus you have an extra set.

Good info for those that are looking! A side note for anyone installing a high flow water pump in case anyone wasn't aware. Be sure to use a reinforced inlet hose as the water pump will collapse the inlet side when under hard acceleration/higher RPMs. I believe that this info is stated in the installation instructions, but it's been a while since I installed mine. I am still looking for a reinforced hose for my II.... :(