Progress Thread 69 Sheet Metal Repair

candphall

Jun 8, 2009
Orlando Florida
After much thought and some encouragement from some well known forum members I have decided to tackle the floors, toe boards, and torque boxes on my 69 fastback. Today I piled the interior found both toe boards rusted through the tops of the torque boxes, pictures posted. I am sure there will be more that needs to be replaced as the disassembly begins. I will be posting my progress on the forum and looking for any advice I can get. So thanks in advance.

To start I would like your thoughts on one piece or two piece torque boxes NPD offers both and they are not to far from my home in Florida. I have purchased may parts from them in the past and have not been disappointed.

I will also need a welder this wont be my last protect and I have 220v available in my garage. So if you have a favorite please let me know.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 355
  • Sponsors (?)

After much thought and some encouragement from some well known forum members I have decided to tackle the floors, toe boards, and torque boxes on my 69 fastback. Today I piled the interior found both toe boards rusted through the tops of the torque boxes, pictures posted. I am sure there will be more that needs to be replaced as the disassembly begins. I will be posting my progress on the forum and looking for any advice I can get. So thanks in advance.

To start I would like your thoughts on one piece or two piece torque boxes NPD offers both and they are not to far from my home in Florida. I have purchased may parts from them in the past and have not been disappointed.

I will also need a welder this wont be my last protect and I have 220v available in my garage. So if you have a favorite please let me know.
oh that was a special option, that is where you hide the empty beer cans:rlaugh:

I have removed the interior and have the car supported on six jack stands. Car is leveled front to rear and side to side. I would like to remove both floor pans and torque boxes at the same time so installation and welding could be done at the same time. Is this smart or should I do one side at a time.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    527.6 KB · Views: 318
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    526.3 KB · Views: 302
I would go one at a time as well, that way you can reference the other side if needed. I put in one piece torque boxes, if I did it again I'd go two piece since I think they would be easier to put in. Had to bend some flanges etc. and use a big rubber mallet to squeak the one piece ones in there.

I began on the passenger side today, I only had a couple of hours so I was only able tho remove the seat support. Next week I hope to get the old floor out and the new one trimmed to fit. Then i will begin on the torque box and outer cowl panel. When I trim the old floor along the tunnel I assume I should allow the new sheet metal to overlap the tunnel. How much shout I overlap the tunnel with the new sheet metal. I also purchased a roofing saw on Horse senses recommendation. Boy what a time saver.

Reactions: 1 user
so you like that saw did you? i have used mine several times now and it's about the best one i have bought. if you do over lap the panels dont leave much of an over lap 1/4 inch or so so moisture and crud doesnt collect.
i always butt weld the panels but the welds need to be good and it takes a lot of time. i usualy trim out the old floor a bit smaller than i want and over lay the new panel then saw through both at the same time about 4 inches at a time and tack weld the two panels as i go .you have to keep pushing the little strip out of the way under the floor so you dont weld it back down

Most of the drivers side floor out up to the frame extension. I am happy to say the frame extension is rust free. Are there any thoughts on using a pneumatic chisel to separate sheet metal from support structures wince the spot welds have been drilled. In addition I want to confirm the torque box is welded to the frame extension on the inside and the frame rail on the outside. That will next to go

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    709.2 KB · Views: 312
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    619.9 KB · Views: 306
it may be easiest to take it out in pieces rather than tring to remove in one piece you could use a air chisel and blow off the outer cover then it wouldn't be so hard to remove. the torque box is welded to the frame inside just at the top flange under the floor. the hardest part to remove will be the outer cover ,it has a full length weld down the frame so if you use a air chisel be carefull not to go through the frame.

The right side floor pan has been removed and the torque box is next. What would be the best way the remove the weld in the picture below. I'm thinking 4 inch angle grinder. Any thoughts on what cutting discs would work best.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    531.8 KB · Views: 308
Indeed the panel that goes between the outer cowl and the engine bay sheet metal I believe it's part of the fire wall. I would like to replace the panel only and not the in tire firewall. But I don't see the panel offered. Any ideas.