Progress Thread 69 Sheet Metal Repair

• Sponsors (?)

I appears that the upper rear torque box cover is about 2 inches to narrow. It is out of place in the picture to show length difference. Is this a piece that needs to be modified or is a wider one available?
image.jpg

All of my sheet metal work is complete, floor pans, toe boards, torque boxes, rocker extensions, and firewall repair. Just took me 8 months including learning how to weld. (I know Horse and Rusty could have done it in a couple of days but I think they have done it once or twice.

Now I want to under coat the new sheet meta, and am looking for recommendations, keep in mind my car is on jack stands and I have to do everything on my back. Looking for a spray can application.

Going to be messy ,wear a hat :rlaugh:. I would primer very well first with a good enamel or epoxy ,you can get an epoxy in a spray can .Seal any joints underside so moisture can't get between any panels. Use a rubberized undercoat ,other types get brittle and crack after a while .
Just think how fast you will be able to do your next mustang :cheers:

I don't think ahead very often but in this case I had all of the sheet metal epoxy primed before I installed it . I am sealing with 3M sealer as advised at 27 dollars a tube it's a bit pricey but I am very satisfied with its performance. My only complaint is that it nearly impossible to reseal a partial tube.

I am getting ready to install my gas tank for the final time prior to paint. It is a new tank and I am wondering how it should be prepared. Primed, then installed then the bottom under coated and the top painted when the car is? Or?

Also is there any thing that goes between the tank and the trunk structure rubber gasket etc? Or is it metal to metal.

The gas tank is zink coated , they go in natural finish but you can under coat them .They used putty strips to seal between the tank and trunk floor,
i use the black 3M strips . The trunk drop off should have a drain hole in the front corner as low as possible, the hole is 3/4 inch .