7.5" Vs 8.8" Question

MileHi91LX

Aug 25, 2016
In doing a disc brake/5 lug swap on my '91. A guy is parting out a '95 V6 mustang with a 7.5" rear. Will the caliper mounting brackets and anti moan brackets off the 7.5 work on my 8.8? Also, from what I've read the front spindles on the '95 V6 will work for my '91. Is that true? As far as the entire brake system, can I use those parts on my swap? Any help would be appreciated as I am negotiating for parts with him now. Thank you!

• Sponsors (?)

The external parts from the 7.5 axle will interchange, but you will need the 7.5's longer axles or some North racecar mount brackets to mount the calipers if you use the stock 4 lug axles.The 95 front spindles and hubs will also work if you do a 5 lug wheel and tire setup. To the best of my knowledge, the 4 lug front disk/hub does not fit the 95 and later spindle.

For the best information available here on Stangnet, see Mustang5L5's The Ultimate 4-lug/5-lug Brake Conversion/upgrade Thread http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-for...5-lug-brake-conversion-upgrade-thread.801400/

Yep, what J said. My brakes came off a wrecked 04 V6 car. The brake booster and master from the 94 car should work for you too if I am not mistaken.

Joe

V6 and GT's use the same rear brakes for all years. Only the 94-98 axle shafts work, so basically you have all you need.

Master cylinder selection depends on what you pair it up with up front

So the axles in this V6, 7.5" would work for my 8.8" ? I bought some stock length, 5 lug Mosers for the swap.... do I still need them? I know the SN95 axles are a little longer, but that makes the brakes line up. What's wrong with running wider axles other than possibly causing some tire interference with the fender?

Limits your rim selection as fox bodies need the wheels closer to the body to run fat tires. With the sn95 axles, you need deep offset wheels like on s197 and s550 and they are not as common.

To answer your other question, all 94-98 axle shafts are the same and will work fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk