8.8 Rebuild Help

Jul 19, 2015
Heres the scene, i got a used 8.8 housing from my local grave yard with no internals. What i have to put in is a locker with 3.73s and a full rebuild. My big issue is what shim do i use to set my pinion depth? No centerline tool. The diff thats in it is a 7.5 so i dont think i should use the shim size in it, and i did luck out and find the shim in the new/used housing, but being from a different car im not sure i should trust its size. Iv heard there is a Master Housing Demension of 4.481. Minus the bearing width i think, but im not 100% on where to take those measurements.
Does anyone have some insight on this so i can get it beat and start makin big moves on it?

• Sponsors (?)

The pinion depth is stamped on the pinion gear when you buy it. I have always used a pinion depth tool. If you search around on the internet there are some people who have used some pretty inventive techniques to get around buying a pinion depth tool, but I am not familiar with any of them off the top of my head. The carrier also has to be shimmed side to side to get proper alignment as well. There are special tools for this as well, but you can always use gear marking grease to get the same result, it just takes longer.

Kurt

There is no pinion depth stamped on my pinion. Its a ford racing kit, so idk what the deal is there, but iv seen that theres a master housing depth for the 8.8s. I just dont know if i need to find the centerline to do any measurements. If i can assemble it by numbers itd be a breeze, but i think i need the original pinion to compare?

Use the shim from the used 8.8. It should get you pretty close if you are using a frpp gearset. You may need small tweaks, but it should be close. As already stated, use the smear paint to check the pattern.

Joe

Well my thought is using the MHD, pinion depth, and head thickness. If MHD - head thickness -"x"= pinion depth (x being the shim) i just need to call frpp and ask what they make thier pinion depth on my gears.i think that will get me real close.
I got that formula from a link on an older post like this. It wont let me post it tho.