Build Thread '83 T-top Coupe - Welding Holes in My Rear

Status
Not open for further replies.
I won't get it painted today, but it is finally blocked out. Tomorrow it'll be blue. Then on to the bumper
image.jpg

Reactions: 6 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Lol. I still need the bell housing, crossmember, and driveshaft. The price of those swap items could fund a huge chunk of Robby. It's overkill but I've wanted a 6spd fox since my first one 10 years ago. It is in all honesty one of the last things that will make it into my car.

Reactions: 1 user
purdy

just out of curiosity, would the color change much without the metal flake in it, or is that part of what brightens it up in the sun? im digging a lot of the newer colors, and they seem to be a lot of metallics these days, which im not the biggest fan of (makes a car look like a bass boat hull imo)

purdy

just out of curiosity, would the color change much without the metal flake in it, or is that part of what brightens it up in the sun? im digging a lot of the newer colors, and they seem to be a lot of metallics these days, which im not the biggest fan of (makes a car look like a bass boat hull imo)
Yeah man, it would look dead with out the pearl in it.

I've shot the large flake used on bass boats, not quite that size. The mica chips are getting larger though.

The pearl has a lot to do with the brightness. Though, the solid colors in kona look much brighter in the sunlight as well. Kind of a combination thing going on.

Yeah man, it would look dead with out the pearl in it.

I've shot the large flake used on bass boats, not quite that size. The mica chips are getting larger though.

The pearl has a lot to do with the brightness. Though, the solid colors in kona look much brighter in the sunlight as well. Kind of a combination thing going on.

I still like my paint better.

Same painter,...different color,.....much more monstrous.

HOLY SHT that's beautiful!!!!! :drool::drool::drool::hail::hail::hail: Dave you are the man!!! I just hope mine comes out half as good as that!!! .....whenever it get's painted.

How many coats of color and how many coats of clear are you using?
Thanks man, that's nice of you to say.

Five coats of base, three coats of clear.

@RaggedGT asked me to show him what I'm doing to the front bumper. So, the before picture you can see where the sun has beat the paint clean off some areas. Up close you can see the pitting and dried plastic on the surface. I'm using 180 grit to sand over these areas to remove the dried plastic first, plus this will provide the mechanical adhesion for the polyflex bondo I will use on it.

Before I spread the mud I will spray the raw plastic with a plastic adhesion promoter. I've found this makes the repair adhere much better when needing to do this kind of work.

The polyflex will fill all the small knicks as well.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
So the bumper had a decent dent/pushed in area along the moulding below the grill and to the right. I didn't take a good picture of it before hand, sorry.

What I did to fix it was to make a jig to place behind it and used a heat gun and a body shrinking hammer and beat on it lightly after I heated it. This isn't like metal, you don't need to wack it hard. Same principle as metal though. You're forcing the molecules tighter together again after they had initially been stretched out.

So pictures, I'm pleased with how it turned out. Before:
image.jpeg

After:
image.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.