Build Thread '83 T-top Coupe - Welding Holes in My Rear

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not a big fan of ponys at all. But $300? I could deal with them. Maybe strip them down first.

Mystichrome on the wheels? The paint would cost more than the wheels!

I offered him $250, I can't help it. My grandpa would be disappointed in me if I didn't try. He would talk down prices at Walmart, and they would give him the discount too!

But how good would that look-rims matching the accents..:drool:

• Sponsors (?)

I think you could get them cheaper. Found these on my local CL

4e17c9b41660d680cf485be20c402428.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
Maybe not. My local feed has three sets. They've been up a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's what i'm hanging on to, i'm thinking they might still be there. New tires for my little 14" wheels will cost more for the wheels and tires in this ad.

Maybe i should strip the black off and just paint them a bright green?:D

What the hell is wrong with you?

You're gonna buy throw a way wheels? and spend more money buying new tires? (It's not like you're gonna go down to the local "used" tire store and be able to pick from a plethora of slightly used 16" take-offs) so that you can drive around on them for.......a year?

Do not spend any money on 16" anything.

It's like when I worked in a retail stereo store in the 80's, and dude would come in wanting to spend 114.95 on the Panasonic 8 track player we had for sale,...justifying that he had to have something to play the hundreds of dollars worth of 8 track tapes he had.

"What happens when you finally come to terms with the fact that 8 tracks are obsolete? Now you have an additional 115.00 in this ancient format. How you gonna justify that then?"

Bite the bullet. You don't even have the car HOME yet. Buy a wheel that you can at least resell when/if you get a better set,..and not some '8 track tires" that will just add to the money invested that you'll never recover.

What the hell is wrong with you?

You're gonna buy throw a way wheels? and spend more money buying new tires? (It's not like you're gonna go down to the local "used" tire store and be able to pick from a plethora of slightly used 16" take-offs) so that you can drive around on them for.......a year?

Do not spend any money on 16" anything.

It's like when I worked in a retail stereo store in the 80's, and dude would come in wanting to spend 114.95 on the Panasonic 8 track player we had for sale,...justifying that he had to have something to play the hundreds of dollars worth of 8 track tapes he had.

"What happens when you finally come to terms with the fact that 8 tracks are obsolete? Now you have an additional 115.00 in this ancient format. How you gonna justify that then?"

Bite the bullet. You don't even have the car HOME yet. Buy a wheel that you can at least resell when/if you get a better set,..and not some '8 track tires" that will just add to the money invested that you'll never recover.
Ahhh, Mike's calm and soothing voice of reason comes twinkling softly, like a gentle breeze, to help me understand.....

What you're saying is I should buy an 8-track stereo for the blue car then?:scratch:

Reactions: 1 users
THAT was not a hand slapping. That was merely a mild tweaking is all.
Ohh I'm not complaining,....it takes having you steer me back into the center lane so I don't go down the wrong path.

It's just one of those things for me that causes a knee jerk reaction I guess..

Like:

You're out walking the dog. You go a different way one day and end up going past a house that you've never seen before. The yards a mile high, the shutters are falling off, and there's a broken window right in front. Do you still go up and knock on the door and see if there's anybody home?

Did that pesky dent come back or is it the camera ? I swear man, I'm about to put a piece of aluminum flat stock under mine and rivet the wave to it. After a couple years I can remove it and bumper will be as good as new. Maybe its me...I'm a little tipsy...just a little.

Did that pesky dent come back or is it the camera ? I swear man, I'm about to put a piece of aluminum flat stock under mine and rivet the wave to it. After a couple years I can remove it and bumper will be as good as new. Maybe its me...I'm a little tipsy...just a little.
Not so much, it wasn't completely taken out in the first place. After looking over the rest of the bumper with those plate tags and all, I decided that it was good enough.

I should have taken more pictures of it with before and after repair.

I went back to look at the pictures, you maybe can't tell from them too well, but it's much better than it was. It is a fairly even dip on the right side as compared with the left side. Right in the middle of the moulding area are two plastic pieces plastic welded on the back from the factory for tags that cause two bumps in the middle and then two slightly lower spots to the side of them.

I do see a dip in the lower grill area I might address though.

I went back to the picture of when I first primered it (your post had me worried!), the waves there are mostly from the stand it's on. The plastic is soft, that's for sure. We have other bumper stands at work that will support it better that I'll probably use when I paint it and it goes through the bake cycle.

I'll take more pictures of the rear bumper when I repair it. It has a dent on the left side from a tree growing up against it. I'll be more particular on that one. It seems to be the bumper that really needs to be straight.

Last edited:
Not so much, it wasn't completely taken out in the first place. After looking over the rest of the bumper with those plate tags and all, I decided that it was good enough.

I should have taken more pictures of it with before and after repair.

I went back to look at the pictures, you maybe can't tell from them too well, but it's much better than it was. It is a fairly even dip on the right side as compared with the left side. Right in the middle of the moulding area are two plastic pieces plastic welded on the back from the factory for tags that cause two bumps in the middle and then two slightly lower spots to the side of them.

I do see a dip in the lower grill area I might address though.

I went back to the picture of when I first primered it (your post had me worried!), the waves there are mostly from the stand it's on. The plastic is soft, that's for sure. We have other bumper stands at work that will support it better that I'll probably use when I paint it and it goes through the bake cycle.

I'll take more pictures of the rear bumper when I repair it. It has a dent on the left side from a tree growing up against it. I'll be more particular on that one. It seems to be the bumper that really needs to be straight.
I think I'm going to search for a straight rear bumper for my car. It'll probably be easier for me in the long run. I'm no bodywork guru like you. [emoji12]

I think I'm going to search for a straight rear bumper for my car. It'll probably be easier for me in the long run. I'm no bodywork guru like you. [emoji12]
Guru? Good lord...:nonono:

It's been about thirty years since I worked in a restoration shop. The bumper covers I use at work are usually a little newer.

It is neat to me to restore old sht though.

Doesn't LMR offer a new rear bumper for the '87-'93's?

Guru? Good lord...:nonono:

It's been about thirty years since I worked in a restoration shop. The bumper covers I use at work are usually a little newer.

It is neat to me to restore old sht though.

Doesn't LMR offer a new rear bumper for the '87-'93's?
Yes but its not polyurethane like the originals. A clean Lx rear bumper isn't hard to find...they're all the same from 87 to 93. I'd love to find a scarlet red one though.

Status
Not open for further replies.