Build Thread '83 T-top Coupe - Welding Holes in My Rear

Status
Not open for further replies.
I work in a similar environment to yours, kind of. I however am on the "office" side of the fence. Yes, fence! It seems there are always two sides of the fence, Office and plant (or laborer) type personnel. Typically each side disagrees with the other side. The "plant" employees at my work are Union, the office is not, which creates a divide. My company I work for is publicly traded on Nasdaq so we are pretty big. Anyways, there are 60+ plant employees and about 20+ office (not including outside sales). In the plant there is shipping/receiving, fab shop, liner crew, setup crew, cement finishers, stripping crew, prep line, painting crew, finish crew, yard crew that operate Mi-Jack cranes and loads trucks. None of these guys/gals would have a dang job if it wasn't for the office AND VISE VERSA. Can't sell product with out outside salesmen, can't have production drawings nor preliminary plans for customer approval with out designers and drafters, can't have state approved drawings without a PE stamped set of drawings so you need an Engineer, how is the building/product going to get from plant to site? You then have a logistics team to get the correct truck that needs to be the correct height to you can clear bridges and the correct weight capacity so you can get through the scales, field operations team to setup local general contractors to install building/product and coordinate cranes, underground utilities and pad prep, electrical/plumbing connections and local inspector visits. Once products is in customers hands final remaining payment is made to accounts receivables, this person also makes sure ALL companies bills are paid for and on time. Let's not forget purchasing which orders all proper materials for all projects, tools, saftey equipment, keep fill etc.

In short, it takes BOTH sides for a business to run. We need you guys and you guys need us. I'm an Engineer and I wear STEEL TOED BOOTS to work everyday and my hard hat is two feet away from me as i'm typing this. I can go out in the plant and do about 90% of the work that's being done right now expect for some of the crane operating like the Mi-Jack. I'm sorry you feel that way about your work and for the others dissing on Engineers that think we all are only book smart but that's not true. I however do have a wet behind the ears fresh out of college Mech. Eng that we hired (not to my liking) and he is an egotistical a-hole that when he gets asked the simplest questions he tells them he'll back to them with an answer shortly, they leave, he looks up an answer on the internet and then attempts to instruct the plant employees on what to do. This is what a $60k degree gets you, internet searches for Engineering support. This guy is your poster child for that picture that @02 281 GT posted except it should say "Google says you're doing it wrong"

Sorry for the long reply, carry on.
Haha. Same floor/shop dichotomy as in just about any industry. Even in the Air Force, there is always a bit of friction between ops and support personnel.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

I work in a similar environment to yours, kind of. I however am on the "office" side of the fence. Yes, fence! It seems there are always two sides of the fence, Office and plant (or laborer) type personnel. Typically each side disagrees with the other side. The "plant" employees at my work are Union, the office is not, which creates a divide. My company I work for is publicly traded on Nasdaq so we are pretty big. Anyways, there are 60+ plant employees and about 20+ office (not including outside sales). In the plant there is shipping/receiving, fab shop, liner crew, setup crew, cement finishers, stripping crew, prep line, painting crew, finish crew, yard crew that operate Mi-Jack cranes and loads trucks. None of these guys/gals would have a dang job if it wasn't for the office AND VISE VERSA. Can't sell product with out outside salesmen, can't have production drawings nor preliminary plans for customer approval with out designers and drafters, can't have state approved drawings without a PE stamped set of drawings so you need an Engineer, how is the building/product going to get from plant to site? You then have a logistics team to get the correct truck that needs to be the correct height to you can clear bridges and the correct weight capacity so you can get through the scales, field operations team to setup local general contractors to install building/product and coordinate cranes, underground utilities and pad prep, electrical/plumbing connections and local inspector visits. Once products is in customers hands final remaining payment is made to accounts receivables, this person also makes sure ALL companies bills are paid for and on time. Let's not forget purchasing which orders all proper materials for all projects, tools, saftey equipment, keep fill etc.

In short, it takes BOTH sides for a business to run. We need you guys and you guys need us. I'm an Engineer and I wear STEEL TOED BOOTS to work everyday and my hard hat is two feet away from me as i'm typing this. I can go out in the plant and do about 90% of the work that's being done right now expect for some of the crane operating like the Mi-Jack. I'm sorry you feel that way about your work and for the others dissing on Engineers that think we all are only book smart but that's not true. I however do have a wet behind the ears fresh out of college Mech. Eng that we hired (not to my liking) and he is an egotistical a-hole that when he gets asked the simplest questions he tells them he'll back to them with an answer shortly, they leave, he looks up an answer on the internet and then attempts to instruct the plant employees on what to do. This is what a $60k degree gets you, internet searches for Engineering support. This guy is your poster child for that picture that @02 281 GT posted except it should say "Google says you're doing it wrong"

Sorry for the long reply, carry on.

We have about four people out of maybe 300 that fit the description you just gave of yourself. The rest (of the engineers) are like the other guy you described. I could sit and describe dozens that have desk jobs with miscellaneous assigned tasks that spend months at a time shirking off responsibilities shamelessly. The training department is just one that comes to mind..

That comment wasn't a blanket statement aimed at you or office personnel in general, it was quite literally about where I work. Period. You'd have to see it to believe it. I'm not so naive to think a business can run without logistics people and bean counters.

We have about four people out of maybe 300 that fit the description you just gave of yourself. The rest (of the engineers) are like the other guy you described. I could sit and describe dozens that have desk jobs with miscellaneous assigned tasks that spend months at a time shirking off responsibilities shamelessly. The training department is just one that comes to mind..

That comment wasn't a blanket statement aimed at you or office personnel in general, it was quite literally about where I work. Period. You'd have to see it to believe it. I'm not so naive to think a business can run without logistics people and bean counters.
I don't think that of you at all but I'm surprised that you have that high of a rate of a "stuffed shirt" problem at your office. My comment was also directed to others that pile on about Engineers so I had to defend myself I guess.

Yes..

:hide:

lol
Oh C'mon! You don't need to hide under a chair!

Jeez!

It's like everybody's afraid that I'm gonna bite a gaping hole in their ass.

I'm actually a nice guy....

See....
wavey.gif

Reactions: 2 users
I sure would hate to pull my thread away into an area that has nothing to do with my t-top, but, here's a new beer.

Lot of chocolate flavor, pretty tasty.
image.jpg

can't believe this car is sitting in a salvage yard!
Me neither man, it's the first t-top coupe I've seen in person.

The other guys know the story, but, I was going to this inactive yard because the owner had parts for my '86 t-top.

On the way to the back of the yard to lay claim to a hatch we walked by this and he casually mentioned he'd sell it for "oh....a thousand bucks". I spent some sleepless nights deciding which child I could sell for enough to get it.

I've paid for the car and am now building up the parts just to make it a running vehicle. Hopefully it'll be running by the end of September. Then it'll be registered and on the road again after a fifteen year hiatus.

Here it is on the tree stand after a quick sanding.
image.jpeg

Here it is with a couple coats of etch primer.
image.jpeg

And finally, here it is with four coats of primer.
image.jpg
image.jpeg

Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.