Build Thread '83 T-top Coupe - Welding Holes in My Rear

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sponsors (?)

Ok, for you 4i'd guys out there with wobbly mirrors, I found out how to fix that today.

I was looking at the mirror mechanism today to figure out this wobbliness that i have.
IMG_2465.JPG

The springs guides that the adjustment wires run through are crimped at the mirror adjustment side.
IMG_2464.JPG

I simply used a small screwdriver and uncrimped them, pulled the guide towards the mirror and recrimped them.
IMG_2466.JPG

Tah dah! Mirrors are now solid as can be without a hint of wobble.

Reactions: 4 users
I got my driver's seat base back from the sandblaster finally today. Nice, huh?
IMG_2468.JPG

The first thing i did was to drill a couple pilot holes through the new pieces while sitting on the frame so i could realign it just right during the welding process, then cut out the spotwelds for the back brace and cut out the rotted area.
IMG_2470.JPG

Then i cleaned all of the e-coating off the patch pieces and cleaned up the back side of the brace.
IMG_2471.JPG

Then i started to learn how to use a spot/pinch welder. This thing is freaking awesome! I started with the small strip on the inside. That's a buddy of mine showing me how it works.
IMG_2472.JPG

Next was the large patch panel.
IMG_2475.JPG

Then the brace back onto the new panel.
IMG_2476.JPG

And finally, this is how it sits right now.
IMG_2477.JPG

Tomorrow i will trim the edges of the patches and stitch weld most of the perimeter of the new panels and fill in the guide holes. Then a little grinding and paint. Then rebuild!

Early this morning i worked on the new backers for the door panels as well. They're almost ready for paint. I didn't take any updated pictures. I'll try to finish them tomorrow. At least ready for paint. The seat base will be my priority.

Reactions: 1 user
AND, i made it back to the yard today and got the taillights! I also got that funny little trim that's in front of the mirrors (I'll get a picture of them tomorrow).

So, getting to the lights was really, really fun. I removed the insulation between the rear seat back and the trunk and forced my body over the brace. I was thinking that i could just shove a flat tip screwdriver into the latch and turn and pop open the trunk. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy......NOT!:nonono:
IMG_2478.JPG

With the old lock cylinder still in place it wouldn't turn, freaking yay!:notnice:

So i removed the two bolts holding the striker in place and the deck lid opened.

I have had shoulder surgery in both shoulders, reaching overhead and having strength is not really possible for me. I wasn't weeping while doing this, though I may have pee'd myself a little bit. My prostate got a good workout.:eek:

Since i had the lid open i went ahead and removed the old lock cylinder. I already have new ones, but, as you know, I already have painted the replacement deck lid. So it'll go in later. A gratuitous photo of the new decklid.
IMG_1991.JPG

Here's the taillights. I'll pull the lenses off and clean the hell out of them. Then i'll sand them down and clearcoat them. They're in really nice shape! Yay me!:banana:
IMG_2479.JPG

The final photo is of Robby as he sits now. It'll probably take me about two to three weeks to fix the stuff i have, then i'll get the driver's door finally.
IMG_2480.JPG

Reactions: 5 users
AND, i made it back to the yard today and got the taillights! I also got that funny little trim that's in front of the mirrors (I'll get a picture of them tomorrow).

So, getting to the lights was really, really fun. I removed the insulation between the rear seat back and the trunk and forced my body over the brace. I was thinking that i could just shove a flat tip screwdriver into the latch and turn and pop open the trunk. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy......NOT!:nonono:
IMG_2478.JPG

With the old lock cylinder still in place it wouldn't turn, freaking yay!:notnice:

So i removed the two bolts holding the striker in place and the deck lid opened.

I have had shoulder surgery in both shoulders, reaching overhead and having strength is not really possible for me. I wasn't weeping while doing this, though I may have pee'd myself a little bit. My prostate got a good workout.:eek:

Since i had the lid open i went ahead and removed the old lock cylinder. I already have new ones, but, as you know, I already have painted the replacement deck lid. So it'll go in later. A gratuitous photo of the new decklid.
IMG_1991.JPG

Here's the taillights. I'll pull the lenses off and clean the hell out of them. Then i'll sand them down and clearcoat them. They're in really nice shape! Yay me!:banana:
IMG_2479.JPG

The final photo is of Robby as he sits now. It'll probably take me about two to three weeks to fix the stuff i have, then i'll get the driver's door finally.
IMG_2480.JPG

Don't mean to go on and on about that color but Daayumm, it's beautiful

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

IMG_2478.JPG

IMG_1991.JPG

IMG_2479.JPG

IMG_2480.JPG

I have been following your thread for awhile now. You do some fantastic work thats for sure. You have taken the mentally that I have of fix the parts that you have rather than buying new ones to a whole new level. The blue is awesome looking. I may hit you up when I finally get to the point of repainting my car if you dont mind.

So you have come out of the closet (trunk) now?

Reactions: 1 user
Those taillights are in really good shape.

When you take them out, I bet the reflectors are going to be pretty dull/oxidized. When I refurbed my 83-86 tails a while back, I actually painted the reflectors with chrome paint. Really made a difference in light output.

I had a thread somewhere

EDIT: Wow. 2006. Really reaching into the way back machine here

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-for...light-maintainence-today.632177/#post-6101402

Reactions: 1 users
Those taillights are in really good shape.

When you take them out, I bet the reflectors are going to be pretty dull/oxidized. When I refurbed my 83-86 tails a while back, I actually painted the reflectors with chrome paint. Really made a difference in light output.

I had a thread somewhere

EDIT: Wow. 2006. Really reaching into the way back machine here

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-for...light-maintainence-today.632177/#post-6101402
You're right about the silver being oxidized. I was thinking that chrome paint would be a good idea as well. I'll read your thread here shortly, I'm interested in seeing the difference in brightness.

I have been following your thread for awhile now. You do some fantastic work thats for sure. You have taken the mentally that I have of fix the parts that you have rather than buying new ones to a whole new level. The blue is awesome looking. I may hit you up when I finally get to the point of repainting my car if you dont mind.

So you have come out of the closet (trunk) now?
Thanks man.

Sure, I'll help you anyway I can.

When I had my head and shoulder stuck up in the trunk over the cross brace I did have a brief thought of what exactly I would do if I got stuck there.

Lots to talk about today. Let's start with the door panel backing boards.

I finished making them, hooray for me! I painted one of them, this is using one coat of sealer and two coats of clear. I think this will seal them up pretty good. The holes are dead nuts on to the originals! On a related note, i ordered the new dew wipes today too. I just need to paint the vinyl and i'm ready to put them back together.
IMG_2491.JPG
IMG_2495.JPG

Next up, the driver's seat base is done. I stitch welded the new patch panels, I also found a tear at the right front that needed fixing. Last repair for this part is in the helical spring holes that the spring set attaches too. They were wollered out really bad, time and a heavier driver wore these holes down. I just filled them in a bit with the welder. I painted it and got the spring set on.
IMG_2485.JPG
IMG_2486.JPG
IMG_2487.JPG
IMG_2494.JPG

I took one rear taillight lense off. The one i took off has a small crack in it. That's the only damage, so i'll fix it, sand the lenses down and clearcoat them. I'll have to redo the black trim, the paint is chipped up pretty bad. BTW, the clips are in great condition. I can get all of the butyl tape from work for free. Reassembly will be cheap. I'll cover these in more detail later.
IMG_2482.JPG

Tomorrow i want to get the seat base put together. I still need to stop by the hardware store to get more steel rod to make the new listing rods for the cover though. I'll see what i can get done.

Last edited:
Damn, you get more done in a day than I do in a month.

I still have yet to finish bleeding my brakes, and my rack is sitting on my basement table where it's been for 2 weeks
Man! You know what though Mike? I want so bad to be at that point someday.

You know, when I decide I want to do "a" project on the car. Then i can focus all my attention and funds to that project. Even if it's a big one like a new drivetrain. Just one. Not an entire car.

I'm not getting worn out, but i really will appreciate when this is a driving project!

Though there is the fun learning side to each layer of this one. Though wiring is about to raise it's ugly head.

Thank you for your comment though.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.