Build Thread '83 T-top Coupe - Welding Holes in My Rear

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sponsors (?)

I'm getting ready for work and i thought i would include one small victory that i paid attention to when i got my taillights. Those are my t-top bags. They're in great condition! It's like no one has used them in at least fifteen years....:D
IMG_0448.JPG
BTW, what do I want to do today? I want to get my other backing board painted, that should be done before seven.
I want to get the driver's seat back rebuilt and maybe painted today.
I want to get my listing rods made for the seat bottom and ......possibly.......build the seat bottom.
I want to sand the windshield trim and finish sanding the mirrors and get them painted.
I want to win the lottery:jester:

Reactions: 4 users
Man! You know what though Mike? I want so bad to be at that point someday.

You know, when I decide I want to do "a" project on the car. Then i can focus all my attention and funds to that project. Even if it's a big one like a new drivetrain. Just one. Not an entire car.

I'm not getting worn out, but i really will appreciate when this is a driving project!

Though there is the fun learning side to each layer of this one. Though wiring is about to raise it's ugly head.

Thank you for your comment though.
Naww it has to be said Dave,.....What you've done to save the body panels, bumpers, seats, interior panels, seat/door upholstery, and the mirrors,.... is so far beyond a "build thread."You've actually created a new prefix category.......Restoration.

Every build/progress thread on this site throws away the stuff you've saved. Those wooden door panels floored me. They look like they were stamped. Sewing zippers back on seat covers w/ a needle and thread,...experimenting w/ paint finishes to get the "dyed" finish to look as good as it does,...salvaging the rotted interior quarter trim, and coming up w/ an alternative surface coating to put texture back before finishing them, saving those seat bases, and restoring them to "I wanna sit on those" status....all of this stuff proves that w/ a little fore thought, and a lot of work,..a fox Mustang can be brought to "10" status for far less than anybody thought.

I built my door panels too,...but they don't look like that.

My hat is off to you....You do amazing work. Good job Dave

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
Agree. I would have tossed away the seat frames and got a set out of a newer V6 or so, and then recovered them. Quick and easy.

You're doing pure restoration worthy of a 1968 GT350.

Reactions: 1 users
Naww it has to be said Dave,.....What you've done to save the body panels, bumpers, seats, interior panels, seat/door upholstery, and the mirrors,.... is so far beyond a "build thread."You've actually created a new prefix category.......Restoration.

Every build/progress thread on this site throws away the stuff you've saved. Those wooden door panels floored me. They look like they were stamped. Sewing zippers back on seat covers w/ a needle and thread,...experimenting w/ paint finishes to get the "dyed" finish to look as good as it does,...salvaging the rotted interior quarter trim, and coming up w/ an alternative surface coating to put texture back before finishing them, saving those seat bases, and restoring them to "I wanna sit on those" status....all of this stuff proves that w/ a little fore thought, and a lot of work,..a fox Mustang can be brought to "10" status for far less than anybody thought.

I built my door panels too,...but they don't look like that.

My hat is off to you....You do amazing work. Good job Dave
That's awful nice of you Mikey.

It sure makes Doby's 1/4 trim mini tubbing seem easier in my mind.

Reactions: 1 user
Can we really get a new category ? A restoration category would be awesome !

Dave, you are the man. There are so many things I've thrown away over the years. If I could do what you've done I would've saved a lot of moolah...and at least 5 whole cars that have been in my possession.

You give us inspiration to do the impossible. You were probably a hell of a kid....we broke our toys, but you probably broke them, saved the pieces, and built better toys.

Reactions: 1 user

Dave, you are the man. There are so many things I've thrown away over the years. If I could do what you've done I would've saved a lot of moolah...and at least 5 whole cars that have been in my possession.

You give us inspiration to do the impossible. You were probably a hell of a kid....we broke our toys, but you probably broke them, saved the pieces, and built better toys.
Not me, if I had a screwdriver without anyone knowing there was hell to pay. I could take sht apart, but then I would magically lose the screws! :shrug: Which, btw, has me a little concerned about everything going back together on Robby.....

Reactions: 2 users

You give us inspiration to do the impossible.
You were probably a hell of a kid....we broke our toys, but you probably broke them, saved the pieces, and built better toys.

I think that's a little bit of a stretch here....I mean...."Impossible?"

There are pictures of Dave sewing zippers w/ needles and thread......NOT impossible.
There are pictures of rotted/rusted stuff that has been patched and repaired.....Not impossible.
There are pictures of painted seat covers.....Painted Seat covers.....Not impossible.

Ole Dave here is just willing to do what most won't. Everybody can,...they just wont.

Now,....Him getting that paint to look as good as it does right out of the gun,.......THAT is impossible

Reactions: 4 users
What about today?

Let's start with the backing board, got the other one shot.
image.jpg

I rebuilt the back, but haven't painted it or the headrest yet. I started by glueing on some thin plastic across the top and the bolsters (it helps SOOO much to do this step).
IMG_2498.JPG

Then I rolled on the cover and put in the necessary hog rings.
IMG_2499.JPG

Done for today.
IMG_2501.JPG
IMG_2502.JPG

I rebuilt the bottom. I made new listing rods for it at lunchtime. A before and after photo.
IMG_2390.JPG
IMG_2505.JPG
That's probably it for today, I feel lazy.

Reactions: 2 users
Opinion Time!

I was thinking about painting where the chrome trim was the same grey as the outside trim. It will have the same half an eggshell sheen to it as everything else in the interior.
image.jpg

What do y'all think?

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.