Build Thread '83 T-top Coupe - Welding Holes in My Rear

Status
Not open for further replies.
Opinion Time!

I was thinking about painting where the chrome trim was the same grey as the outside trim. It will have the same half an eggshell sheen to it as everything else in the interior.
image.jpg

What do y'all think?

I'm sorry,.........But I think that door panel look like ass...

You need to tighten it up a little before you spray paint on it don't ya think?

;)

• Sponsors (?)

I'm sorry,.........But I think that door panel look like ass...

You need to tighten it up a little before you spray paint on it don't ya think?

;)
Oddly enough, I was just thinking something like that. I was just scuffing it down and thought it would be better to build part of the panel with that on it. I'm afraid I might stretch the vinyl too far and crack the paint.

So it might be Monday before it's shot.

I have to go find some 1/8" leg staples and stapler.

What have i done today, really, very little visually. So to you guys, nothing......:nonono:

Though i have been doing some education on wiring harness's. I want to KNOW what all of the wires do. I have sent a request to Ron Francis for a quote on the various harness's and for a complete redo. 34 years haven't been real kind to this vehicle.

I did order this today though. You might say big deal though? They're not easy to find and these are NOS. http://www.foxresto.com/1979-84-Mustang-B-Pillar-Seat-Belt-Bolt-Cover-NOS-p/31379006.htm
The old ones were basically dust. All you have to do is push them up off of the seat belt bolt from the b-pillar. I felt like i was in an Indiana Jones movie grabbing a four thousand year old seal on a tomb. They just crumbled in my hands.

So after the door panels....when do we get to see you start putting the car back together again? You have a huge stock pile of parts now. It would be driving me nuts not to start installing the new goodies.

Reactions: 1 user
So after the door panels....when do we get to see you start putting the car back together again? You have a huge stock pile of parts now. It would be driving me nuts not to start installing the new goodies.
Amen to that!

I still have to repair and paint the instrument cluster, that'll take a week in itself. Several small pieces to do as well, plus the window trim and mirrors. Then i have to get the rest of the bodyside mouldings.

Then i have to get the driver's door.

Then i finally get the car. Even when i get it though, i'll have to replace at least the driver's floor pan, strip the quarters and roof and jambs and rocker and get those in primer. Then i'll build the interior, paint the jambs, cowel panel and front part of the roof. Then all of those seals. Clean up the engine bay and get the engine running, i'm a little worried that i might have to replace some of the wiring harness's because of the freaking rat colony that made the engine bay home.

I've already contacted Ron Francis about premade wiring harness's. I'm getting a catalog and we'll see what happens there.

So, it won't be a driver tomorrow:eek:.

Believe me, I want to drive this car. I just allowed myself to get nuts on the build though. I want to do what i'm doing as right as i can.:nonono:

So, maybe a spring/summer driver? I've started letting my hair grow so i can have a mullet for the first drive.:rock:

Reactions: 4 users
I got started on the driver's door panel. First thing was to attach my new backer panel to the aluminum upper.

I used nine rivets with washers on the squish side. I also used panel bonding adhesive.
IMG_2517.JPG

I sanded the top of my new panel and the aluminum upper so the pba would have something to bite into. I ran a bead of pba.
IMG_2518.JPG

Then i riveted the panels together. and filled the extra holes with some pba. That panel is not coming off of the upper without a grinder!
IMG_2519.JPG
IMG_2520.JPG

Tomorrow i'll trim a little and attach the vinyl cover. Once that's on there, i'll paint it.

I got my new dew wipes in today, so once the panel is painted, i'll just need to put on the carpet and the dew wipe and i'll go on to the passenger side.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm starting off the morning with glueing the plastic vapor barrier to the back of the vinyl. Once the glue is good and dry, I'll trim the edges and get on with attaching it back to the backer board.
IMG_2524.JPG

Reactions: 1 user
It's lunchtime, I've got one on. I have to wait till a little later to get the driver's side done. Got to leave the clamps on there till the glue dries a bit. It doesn't look very sexy yet, but at least it's disinfected and flat!
IMG_2531.JPG

IMG_2532.JPG

I'm also including a picture of my nice new dew wipes. Aren't they pretty?
IMG_2529.JPG

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.