Build Thread '83 T-top Coupe - Welding Holes in My Rear

Status
Not open for further replies.
What "package" are we talking about?

(Am I gonna have to say Ewwwwwwwww?)

So let me get this straight in my head.

You are gonna make a GLX version of the GT sticker, and similarly paint it into the hood like said GT would've been?

My advice is to say No to that.

It's one of those instances where the factory never made a "bold statement" about car that was far from bold....
Well, I take that back......there was that "rolling sticker" era between 1974, and 1978.

Well,.....then there was the 79-80 Cobra,...

And then the i'll fated attempt to advertise the fact that the "Turbo" that was under the hood made a whole whopping 132 HP.

But,...after they got their balls back......

The only car that got it's model named screamed at the public through a badge or sticker was one that could back up the chest thump.

And GLX meant..........Gearhart Liebermans Xperiment..........
Nope, gonna do it.

• Sponsors (?)

In for detailed process and materials to dye that plastic crap, it's on the list of things I need to do (factory smoke gray though)
I'm not using any "dye" system, such as SEM. Our paint at work has adhesion promoters for raw plastic that i'll spray on prior to almost a normal refinishing process. I'll show what i do though. Most systems do duplicate what i'll be doing though with their brand products.

Reactions: 1 user
What "package" are we talking about?

(Am I gonna have to say Ewwwwwwwww?)

So let me get this straight in my head.

You are gonna make a GLX version of the GT sticker, and similarly paint it into the hood like said GT would've been?

My advice is to say No to that.

It's one of those instances where the factory never made a "bold statement" about car that was far from bold....
Well, I take that back......there was that "rolling sticker" era between 1974, and 1978.

Well,.....then there was the 79-80 Cobra,...

And then the i'll fated attempt to advertise the fact that the "Turbo" that was under the hood made a whole whopping 132 HP.

But,...after they got their balls back......

The only car that got it's model named screamed at the public through a badge or sticker was one that could back up the chest thump.

And GLX meant..........Gearhart Liebermans Xperiment..........

This "dont do it" advice is coming from Mr want to be different in every possible way... Mikey, I am confused, what part of your Fairmont is period correct from the factory again? The twister stickers, or the cyclone rear badge?

So, here's the stuff i used to clean and scuff the quarter trim. I started with the USP 90, it's a paste that has grit in it plus soap, I've heard it called blend prep with other systems. It's like soft scrub with no bleach. I used a red scotchbrite with all I'm doing here. The grey ones are there to look pretty, I guess.

So i used a little water, and a dollop of the goo and cleaned the entire part. Then i rinsed it off with a hose. Next i used the aqua prep (a deep cleaner that gets rid of old sht like armor all). Then i rinsed it again.
IMG_2167.JPG
IMG_2166.JPG

Here the parts are, dried out and ready for a final wiping with a water based wax and grease remover and also an alcohol based cleaner as well.
IMG_2170.JPG

See this bit of UV rot? I think i might fix it. Though the yard owner has a panel in another coupe that he has. Why do i have to do things the hard way? IDK.
IMG_2171.JPG

Reactions: 1 users
Ok, my interpretation of a GLX sticker for the left front of the hood (like on a GT).

Be critical and tell me what you think, I'm obviously at the stage i can change it, but i'll probably spray the hood on tuesday.
image.jpg
@Noobz347 , tell me what you think, i don't know why i value your opinion here, but.....:shrug:

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I like it as is. I was going to say attach the top of the G to the top of the L, but I think that would make it look like GIX. Maybe move the G closer to the L since the L and X seem much closer (at the top).

Imo I think it would look more "right" if the g was attached to the l
I get your point, see my comment to Nick.

I like it as is. I was going to say attach the top of the G to the top of the L, but I think that would make it look like GIX. Maybe move the G closer to the L since the L and X seem much closer (at the top).
Like what Chuck was saying in a way. i see that the G looks a little far left to the LX. I think you get the chicken dinner Nick, the G needs to be moved closer to the LX.

I like it, if you made the X all the same size how do you think it would look? Or even reversed the X :chinOr paint it how you see it in your head :rlaugh:
The X is the same size as the G Chris. I made the left to right stripe of the X the larger because the font from the original GT leans right.

Ok, I'll settle this.
I like it.
Nuf said!
I kind of like it too, thanks brother. I think i might move the G a little closer to the LX though.

Reactions: 2 users
Where did the GLX model fall? Was that between the LX and GT?

L, LX, GLX, GT?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It was only in '82 and '83. It was like the really cool and comfy LX. Not really even trying to compete with the GT, I believe it was meant to compete with the Chrysler Lebaron at the time, so.....silky smooth hands free transmission!

Status
Not open for further replies.