Build Thread '83 T-top Coupe - Welding Holes in My Rear

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm finished with the template. Got it all cut out and covered with more tracing paper. I know that a couple little bits are off, that's just alignment stuff i'll take care of once it's stuck to the hood. The little wobble in the upper part of G i will trim then as well. The center stripe will be masked totally separate, so the template for that part won't be used.

I was thinking that green i posted in mike's thread about what not to do to a fox would be a nice accent for the center stripe.....:jester:

Tomorrow is all customer cars, tuesday i'll paint the grey on Robby's hood.

Tomorrow i'll get the left quarter interior trim patched and hopefully in primer.

So, here it is:
image.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
  • Sponsors (?)

I'm finished with the template. Got it all cut out and covered with more tracing paper. I know that a couple little bits are off, that's just alignment stuff i'll take care of once it's stuck to the hood. The little wobble in the upper part of G i will trim then as well. The center stripe will be masked totally separate, so the template for that part won't be used.

I was thinking that green i posted in mike's thread about what not to do to a fox would be a nice accent for the center stripe.....:jester:

Tomorrow is all customer cars, tuesday i'll paint the grey on Robby's hood.

Tomorrow i'll get the left quarter interior trim patched and hopefully in primer.

So, here it is:
image.jpg

I like it!:nice:

Reactions: 1 user
A 4 eye needs hood lettering like that. It just does. When It did my 84 GT, I got the letteribg on the blacked out part of the hood and everybody said, "Ooooooooooooohhhhh, yeeeeeaaaaah! That belongs there!"

Reactions: 1 users
I had an 84 v6 notchback. Painted in a 3.8 T on the hood...actually was going to turbo it but.... I sold it. Everyone loved the lettering. The car was white the hood was painted semi black between the hood body lines...the stencil was white. Wish I had a pic.

Reactions: 1 user
Great... Now I have to walk back to my shop to take a picture of the hood of my 85'.

Wait, that's up on the lift and the 84 is parked underneath of it and doesn't run.

I will peruse my pictures to see what I can dig up but I like the idea of a metallic gray for the letters. That is if I'm not too late to the party to provide some input.

Reactions: 1 users
Great... Now I have to walk back to my shop to take a picture of the hood of my 85'.

Wait, that's up on the lift and the 84 is parked underneath of it and doesn't run.

I will peruse my pictures to see what I can dig up but I like the idea of a metallic gray for the letters. That is if I'm not too late to the party to provide some input.
Do you mean the entirety of the letters, or just the middle stripe?

Here's a helpful picture:
IMG_0404.JPG

Reactions: 2 users
I was thinking more like this, maybe I'm partial since it's mine lol. This is painted on not the standard sticker
Screenshot_20161204-211332.png
Yeah, that's like my '86. '85 &'86 had a little different GT. It attaches to the color on the left side of the hood and doesn't have the stripe running through the middle. Different font as well.
IMG_0993.JPG

I'm really thinking about stepping out and putting a whole different color in the strip that cuts through the middle of the letters. Like a green. You might like the whole green on a mustang thing!:nice:

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I still think you should leave it blue. Its just its natural look, via factory design.
I know what you mean Nick, and i still may go that way.

The extra color for the stripe will have to be sprayed after the main grey of the hood stripe has been sprayed. I'll get a chance to see how it looks prior to that color.

I got a little time to work on the UV rotted section of the quarter trim today.

I used 80 grit to sand the area first. Then took my die grinder to put some heavier scratches in the plastic.
IMG_2174.JPG

I used that dry wall mesh i used to repair the rear bumper again. That plus some panel bonding adhesive to rebuild the plastic.
IMG_2175.JPG
I started by building up the under side and then let that harden for about six hours. This picture was right after i put the PBA on the mesh, about three hours later, it was a very thick goo that allowed me to push the mesh into the shape of the panel and would hold itself in the shape.
IMG_2176.JPG

About fifteen minutes before i went home tonight i removed the yellow tape i used to support the initial application of the PBA in place and applied another coat on top to level it out.
IMG_2177.JPG

Tomorrow i'll cut the repair to the original shape of the panel, sand it smooth and put Polyflex in any voids i may have. I started sanding the rest of the panel to remove the dried out plastic, what a powdery mess. Bright side is that there is lots of solid plastic underneath. I really think i can make these panels almost new looking.

I'll cover the rest of the steps as i go along.

Reactions: 5 users
Status
Not open for further replies.