86 Caster/camber Plates Install ?

oldskolbus

Founding Member
Apr 30, 2002
WV
Im installing bbk caster/camber plates on my 86 5.0 lx coupe. (part #2525) I started of with the spacer provided, rubber on bottom of strut cover(bump stop), strut cover, and rubber on top of cover, and my threads dident clear the top bushings. After messin with it for a while i'm down to strut/cover/frame, and now I have about a 1/4inch thread on top of the strut bolt. It looks off, like im going to dent my hood when i tighten every thing up?

Did anyone else have this problem? and if so how do you have it set up? Before anyone asks I have lowering springs, and after market struts on my car

This all started when I took her for a drive last week. It was a nice day and she,s been in the garage all winter. I must have hit a good size pot hole because now she pulls to the right. I figured since I need a alignment, it would be a good time to put c/c plates on.
Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Are these links? I'm not getting anything

They are call-outs to people whom we think can answer your questions better than we can. I'm going to send out a few myself:

@MFE92
@90lxwhite
@Mustang5L5

What these do is call specific members by sending them an attention alert when they log into the forum or by email if they've set their alerts up that way.

Thanks madspeed. I saw you location and I'm on a hill in WV... About 10mins from I70. This site has changed some stuff since I needed to ask a question, I usually have answers

Reactions: 1 user
They are call-outs to people whom we think can answer your questions better than we can. I'm going to send out a few myself:

@MFE92
@90lxwhite
@Mustang5L5

What these do is call specific members by sending them an attention alert when they log into the forum or by email if they've set their alerts up that way.
Ouch ouch. My dearest apologies....

Can you post up some pics? I was at the BBK web site looking and it looks like it should go in this order (using a factory style strut): Strut, strut spacer, bushing sleeve, small washer, lower bushing, strut mount, upper bushing, aluminum plate, larger flat washer, nut. I know sometimes on CC plates, if things are not put in the right order they can throw things way off as far as how the strut sits in there. I made that mistake on the first UPR CC plates I ever did.

You have to mess around to get the poper spacer sequence when using lowered springs. The instructions should tell you which ones to use and what order. I've never used that brand, but CC plate install is pretty much the same for all models . Did you make sure you have them on the proper side and oriented the right side up.

Does it look like this?

67700-bbk-caster-camber-plates-7993.jpg

Thanks for all the help. Its been a few days, I works 24hr shifts, so by the time I get back to my computer I usually have it figured out. I went with strut, bump stop, strut cover, (sleave/bushing, washer, lower bushing, bracket, upper bushing, washer, and nut. It was snowing here today so Idident take it for a test drive or to get aligned. I was happy that my bolts dident hit my hood.

Has anyone had an alignment with the spec that come with the plates? Don't care about the brand, what was your settings??

Here is a pic of what I came up with.

Attachments

• plates 4-2014.JPG
    plates 4-2014.JPG
    774 KB · Views: 324
Finally made it o get an alignment. The got as close as they could, said I needed to grind some off of the tower to get full adj. Here is what they set it at.
bbk spec
caster left 0.6 3 pos
right 0.6 3 1/2 pos
camber left -0.7 3/4 neg
right -1.0 3/4 neg
right -1.0 3/4 neg
toe left 0.2 1/32
right 0.15 1/32
total 0.35
How close am I?

Finally made it o get an alignment. The got as close as they could, said I needed to grind some off of the tower to get full adj. Here is what they set it at.
bbk spec

caster left 0.6 3 pos
right 0.6 3 1/2 pos

camber left -0.7 3/4 neg
right -1.0 3/4 neg
right -1.0 3/4 neg

toe left 0.2 1/32
right 0.15 1/32
total 0.35
How close am I?