87 Gt Convertible Stalling

Luis87

Apr 23, 2014
Hi guys im new to the forum and hopefully someone out here can help me with an issue i am encountering.
I have an 87 gt convertible which stalls completely off except for the lights/stereo
The weird thing is, if i get out the car, it suddenly stops.
Theres time while i drive it and it stalls but it starts right up again, by itself.
The car still turns on every time though
Im hoping someone has had this same issue because no codes come up either
Thank you guys!

• Sponsors (?)

Welcome Luis. I don't undertsand your description. Would you explain a little better.

stalls completely off except for the lights/stereo- nothng else works?
The weird thing is, if i get out the car, it suddenly stops.- what stops. the car or the stalling
Theres time while i drive it and it stalls but it starts right up again, by itself.- the car stalls, stops, and then starts back up? is the key on or off.

When you ran the codes did you get any codes at all . Code 11?

Welcome Luis. I don't undertsand your description. Would you explain a little better.

stalls completely off except for the lights/stereo- nothng else works?
The weird thing is, if i get out the car, it suddenly stops.- what stops. the car or the stalling
Theres time while i drive it and it stalls but it starts right up again, by itself.- the car stalls, stops, and then starts back up? is the key on or off.

When you ran the codes did you get any codes at all . Code 11?

Sorry about that, i was in a rush while writing it.
Well when the car stalls, all the electrical components work
When driving it sometimes stalls for about 5 seconds but starts right back up by itself, with the key in the on position.
When it stalls and i come to a complete stop the car turns on without any hesitation at all.
When the car is in park and i get out the car, the engine shuts off but.the electrical components stay on.
No codes at all, thats what a shop told me
The car is an automatic
Thanks for your input :)

No code for VSS or TFI? Tach, instrument lights, and windows all work fine? Did you check your grounds as those can play havoc with your car. check your ignition switch- located on the bottom of the steering wheel. With the car running. pull the small purple wire off the S terminal on the starter solenoid on the driver firewall... If the car keeps running the ignition switch is bad.

No code for VSS or TFI? Tach, instrument lights, and windows all work fine? Did you check your grounds as those can play havoc with your car. check your ignition switch- located on the bottom of the steering wheel. With the car running. pull the small purple wire off the S terminal on the starter solenoid on the driver firewall... If the car keeps running the ignition switch is bad.

Yes sir, all the tachs work and windows.
I recently changed the ignition switch, i noticed that when i touched the wires under it(white box) it would shut off
Sorry i dont know anything about electrical issues.

I will do that asap
Ill post the outcome
Thank you very much!

Yes sir, all the tachs work and windows.
I recently changed the ignition switch, i noticed that when i touched the wires under it(whiIte box) it would shut off
Sorry i dont know anything about electrical issues.

I will do that asap
Ill post the outcome
Thank you very much!

Whoah. you forgot to mention that. That could be your problem right there. If the wires are fried or loose, you need to address that. Someone make a replacement wire kit but I can't remember who. If that is the case, get it repaired asap as it's a fire waiting to happen.

Ohh man thats not good..
I just checked and with a little tap of the ignition switch, it turns off and i mean tiny
I need to find a replacement asap
Sorry i.should of explained everything in detail
The car was sitting for 7 years
Its completely stock
Bought the car for 600 bucks
I changed the gas thank and fuel pump
I.guess thats what comes with a car that has been sitting for such a long time

Thats the car.

Attachments

• CAM00479.jpg
    CAM00479.jpg
    314 KB · Views: 112