89 Gt Charcoal Canister Leak?

stang8384

Jan 18, 2017
NY
Hello,

I am getting some type to fluid leak which appears to be oil. It only seems to leak when the car has sat for a bit. I have piece of cardboard down on the floor and the leak looks like it is coming from the charcoal canister. I took a look at it and it looks all gunked up on the bottom. Is it possible for this to happen or could I have a leak from something else. The leak is on the passenger side of the car near the canister.

Thanks

Scott

• Sponsors (?)

Charcoal canister sucks vapor from gas tank, through the activated charcoal, and into the intake. It should be vapor only.

I'd pull the vac lines on it and see if it's wet, if not, I'd suspect steering rack leak from the boot. It's in the vacinity

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with mustang5L5, maybe clean the area good with degreaser and run it while watching the area, also make sure the vac line is connected to the vac port in the front of upper intake.
There is no reasonable explanation I can think of for oil to seep from that canister, I could be wrong, After all I am kinda like a boob.

Charcoal canister sucks vapor from gas tank, through the activated charcoal, and into the intake. It should be vapor only.

I'd pull the vac lines on it and see if it's wet, if not, I'd suspect steering rack leak from the boot. It's in the vacinity

I'm not certain that the fluid is oil. Just after I take the car out, I see a little fluid on the cardboard. And the bottom of the canister has some type of fluid build up. Maybe it's running off from somewhere else and collecting on the bottom of the canister.

I'll try to get a better look at it and post a pic as soon as I can! I apologize for any ignorance. I'm totally new to the Fox game and learning!
Thanks

I'm not certain that the fluid is oil. Just after I take the car out, I see a little fluid on the cardboard. And the bottom of the canister has some type of fluid build up. Maybe it's running off from somewhere else and collecting on the bottom of the canister.

I'll try to get a better look at it and post a pic as soon as I can! I apologize for any ignorance. I'm totally new to the Fox game and learning!
Thanks

(7628) 20170119_132255.jpg
(7627) 20170119_132249.jpg
Salted roads are in full effect in NY so she's won't be going for a drive anytime soon but here are some pics!

How are the A/C lines directly above the canister? Are they leaking at all? Does your A/C work? It's possible oil from the system is leaking directly above the canister.

If it's not that, then yes, it does look like something is going on. Disconnect, the two vac lines and see if either is wet. I'd take the canister off and clean it and see if there is oil inside? Follow the vac line up to the intake manifold. Where does it connect?

(7628) 20170119_132255.jpg
(7627) 20170119_132249.jpg
Salted roads are in full effect in NY so she's won't be going for a drive anytime soon but here are some pics!

A/C does work but seems to give off a lot of condensation. The last few times I drove it, I noticed something misting from an A/C line near the passenger firewall. I'll have to take a look at the lines above the canister.

But wouldn't it stink like an open gas can? I've worked around vapor remediation using charcoal canisters and never seen any oil development, I'm still going with ac oil.

I have a slight odor of gas, but i was assuming that it was normal for a 28 year old car. Like i said earlier, I'm almost certain that there is a small leak from one on the A/C components, where the A/C line hooks up to this part at the firewall ( i cant remember the part off hand). It will be at least a few days until i can get at it but i appreciate the quick responses!

There is a gas tank vent line that hooks to that canister and a vac line with a solenoid that hooks to the front vac port of the intake, the solenoid wires run to the right injector harness
The tank vent line runs down the frame rail back to the tank under the floor pan.
Right above the charcoal canister is two ac line connections, that is the only source of oil in that area, that is why I think its refrigerant oil that has dripped onto the canister, the area around there is still clean from the pics. You likely need to change out the canister if the oil has seeped into it.
The ac lines run back to the firewall connecting to the evaporator and a dryer mounted to the firewall, you may be able to just replace the O rings at those 4 connections

I let it run for about 5 minutes and turned the A/C on. No noticeable leaks. I had some condensation on the dryer (proper name?). There was some sludge on the A/C lines above the canister, but it was much closer to the radiator. I did notice 2 retaining clips that were not connected for the A/C lines. I'm not sure that it is an issue. And found a sticker that the A/C was converted over to R134a.

Attachments

• 20170121_134800_Ink_LI.jpg
    20170121_134800_Ink_LI.jpg
    301.6 KB · Views: 127
  • 20170121_134828_Ink_LI.jpg
    20170121_134828_Ink_LI.jpg
    404.5 KB · Views: 128
That's old paint. Those lines are painted black.

Get in there with simple green and warm water and rag and clean and degrease. Have you pulled the lines off the canister to see if they are dry?