Progress Thread 89 Gt Wishlist

well crap, you made me do some serious research on the kit. Earlier I found nobody had bad things to say about the shocks. But I must have stopped short of that cuz I started in on reviews of the kyb gas adjust and 75% of the reviews were bad. I'm most concerned about them lasting a few years.

honestly I think I might just grab some cheap shocks n struts that match stock and wait till I can spend cash on a k-member, arms, and coil-overs.

what do you guys think? Only reason I was getting that kit was its cheap and I'm jacking up the car, pulling off the wheels and doing a brake upgrade.

heres my .o2, i have an 89 vert, around 2000 i put on eibach pros and kyb gax shocks. i really like the look the car has a slight rake to it, stock wheels look great, sits perfectly level left to right, it handles really tight with no body roll. things people dont like: it rides really really tight. i dont own my mustang to ride like a sedan though, i like the rawness of a mustang...100k miles on this setup and still same as day one....

guess like all mods, depends on what you like and want out of your pony..

• Sponsors (?)

I modified my wishlist. See first thread for link.

1. I decided to buy a used suspension from another member when it becomes available. So that SVE suspension upgrade from latemodelrestoration is removed from list.
2. I decided to go with the alternator kit. I looked up the alternator for a 95, cabling, relays, and decided the benefit of having everything to spec and completely ready to snap in with new connectors for the mustang vs the cost benefit was well worth it to me. I think I would have saved around $50 with doing it myself.
3. I added something. Proform electric fan. My car has been overheating past couple of days and so I replaced thermostadt and that didn't do it. It's been blowing out/leaking around the overfill tank/reservoir. I think my water pump is going out. It's been a slow process but it's still the original water pump! So I decided to go ahead and take advantage. I have to remove the radiator to install the new alternator cabling anyway.
4. I havn't ordered the seat foam or headliner material yet. I am also waiting on the brakes from MM to see if I can find a discount.

Update.

I got some parts in. Having overheating problems at the same time so I have car tore down right now.

Suggestions welcome if you see something needs to be done or changed.

New Cowl
WP_20140412_104.jpg

Old Cowl
WP_20140412_105.jpg

Got a nice side skirt
WP_20140412_126.jpg

New alternator came in with power wire upgrade
WP_20140412_096.jpg

Notice the new alternator pully is larger diameter. Is this going to be ok?
WP_20140412_098.jpg

WP_20140412_099.jpg

Still sporting the original 89 factory alternator!
WP_20140412_085.jpg

Alt + Smog, relocation bracket for Vortech SC
WP_20140412_082.jpg

WP_20140412_080.jpg

WP_20140412_090.jpg

Is this the original factory serpentine belt?
WP_20140412_044.jpg

Pretty decent shape
WP_20140412_045.jpg

Bought new one anyhow, got new water pump too
WP_20140412_127.jpg

K&N Air filter, need to clean that up and re-oil
WP_20140412_032.jpg

MAF sensor, still factory
WP_20140412_030.jpg

WP_20140412_029.jpg

Radiator, shrowd, fan, and MAF removed
WP_20140412_013.jpg

FMU I'm hoping to dump soon with upgraded injectors and MAF sensor
WP_20140412_019.jpg

New electric fan - Proform
WP_20140412_092.jpg

WP_20140412_094.jpg

Adjustable thermostadt on fan
WP_20140412_095.jpg

Got a few other things too. Got the new seals and hardware kit for my sunroof. Already installed them. They were perfect and already got a huge rain overnight and zero leaks! Got my door hinges in but waiting for the springs.

More updates to come.

I ordered the MM kit. It was the other part of my wishlist. It's really a must. The front rotor's are shot, stress cracking, and of course still the originals. This kit comes with new steel braded brake lines which i'm excited about as well. I'm going to grab some new cylinders as well for the rear drums.

Water pump bolts are on the way with the rest of my door parts. I got a new door latch for the drivers side. Got new moisture barrier and sound barriers. Got the molded heater hose from thermostat to intake. Couple of other things.

Will probably start installing next Monday. Will keep you update.

I ordered the MM kit. It was the other part of my wishlist. It's really a must. The front rotor's are shot, stress cracking, and of course still the originals. This kit comes with new steel braded brake lines which i'm excited about as well. I'm going to grab some new cylinders as well for the rear drums.

Water pump bolts are on the way with the rest of my door parts. I got a new door latch for the drivers side. Got new moisture barrier and sound barriers. Got the molded heater hose from thermostat to intake. Couple of other things.

Will probably start installing next Monday. Will keep you update.
i have the mm kit sitting in a box i havnt installed yet.....hope you post back with good news!

I have a ton of work to do yet. Once I get the engine back together I move on to the doors. Then I can start on the brake upgrade. I'm guessing I start on Monday and will hopefully get everything done by Wednesday.

But none-the-less I will certainly take more pics and post updates. I am praying the new MM kit will enhance the braking. I went ahead and just bought OEM replacement rotors since I don't do heavy racing or high speeds much. I have done a chit-load of research on brakes and I just didn't see the value for my needs. One day I will do it for looks maybe.

Reactions: 1 user
Got some parts in. Finally able to re-assemble.
Water pump bolt kit from LMR:

temporary-9.jpg

Noticed after I cleaned up my timing cover plate the top has either been chipped or it was just formed like that. Wasn't too bad though so I continued.

temporary-8.jpg

temporary-6.jpg

New water pump. Duralast heavy duty.

WP_20140412_131.jpg

temporary.jpg

temporary-3.jpg

I used the permatex2 and coated all my seals. The inside and outside seal for water pump and the seal for the thermostat.

temporary-4.jpg

temporary-5.jpg

I bought the fail-safe again. This time I got the 180degree instead of the OEM 192.

temporary-11.jpg

temporary-12.jpg

Water pump and thermostat installed.

temporary-13.jpg

temporary-15.jpg

I used Perm Anti-Seize on all the bolts for water pump and thermostat.

temporary-14.jpg

I installed the new 130 amp alternator and power wire upgrade. I have a larger battery than the mustang calls for so the relay just barley fit.

temporary-16.jpg

The other end with new plugs and terminals:

temporary-19.jpg

Installed new 2AWG Positive and Negative feeds to battery:

temporary-17.jpg

This is for all you Vortech SC folks out there. The Vortech plates re-locate the alternator to under the smog pump and the top bolt is actually attached to the smog pump lower bolt with a nice bracket supplied in the vortech kit. However with the new alternator being larger in diameter I had to shave off some of the smog pump that was protruding so that it would fit. Very simple modification.

temporary-20.jpg

temporary-21.jpg

temporary-22.jpg

A few extra pics to please the gods:

temporary-26.jpg

temporary-28.jpg

temporary-30.jpg

I put the last coat of paint on my cleaned up A/C compressor bracket before I quit last night. Tonight I will install the rest of the brackets for the vortech and A/C. Then I can start the install of my radiator and new electric fan.

temporary-24.jpg