89 supercharged LX idle/running issues

Robertstang

Jul 15, 2023
Hey guys: I've reached phase 2 of the LX return to the road. Already done: 4.030 slugs, girdle, large pan, ford 303 cam, edelbrock heads, cobra intake, 76mm TB, shorty headers, 42 lb injectors, powerdyne supercharger, cold air intake & filter. What I've done: bypassed the air pump (plugged the vacuum lines), complete ignition tune (iridium sparkers gapped to .052), reliable wires (not new), new TPS (1.25V), new supercharger hoses and belt.

Here's the problem: there's no SPOUT (completely missing), car won't idle, surges, must keep foot on gas, raising rpm helps but above 2,000 runs crappy. I've tried adjusting TB with IAC hooked up and unhooked, can't check timing (no idle), fuel pressure over 50 psi, tried EGR hooked up and unhooked.

Here's the questions: a) should I reduce the gap of plugs to say ,028, (I've heard this works on turbo models). b) Holly Terminator X with new harness, or Megasquirt using existing wiring. c) intermittent open/short in fuse 8 (fuel door/hatch release), drains battery in a few days, fine without the fuse.

I thank you for the expert advice I am about to receive. Amen.

• Sponsors (?)

I actually bought a spout connector off eBay, but I have no idea what the wires look like underneath the intake manifold so that’s where I’m stuck. I figured a stand alone Computer system might just bypass that whole mess and straighten things out with a laptop.

I actually bought a spout connector off eBay, but I have no idea what the wires look like underneath the intake manifold so that’s where I’m stuck. I figured a stand alone Computer system might just bypass that whole mess and straighten things out with a laptop.
I'd like to add that the car didn't have a spout connector when I bought the car and it ran fine. Opinion was that the distributor was "locked out" and the CPU was handling all the timing. Also the set idle list has you remove the spout to do the fine tune of the TB anyways. I'm thinking that the spark plug gap is too wide at .052 which is for N/A applications. Before purchasing a stand alone system I'm going to reduce the gap to about half and see if it improves. I've read that in turbo and supercharged applications the spark is actually "blown out" causing misfire. Aside from tuning up the ignition, the only alteration I made was deactivated the air pump and plugging the vac lines.