89gt Vert Quarter Window Track Sticky

So, I finally got around to taking apart the quarter window to replace the guide rod mount with the LMR aluminum piece. All worked and fit beautifully, but when I put it all back together the window still wouldn't go up and down. Motor turns easily and the window slides up and down on the track, so narrowed it down to the mounting plate with the big scissor gear and sliding arms that push the window up and down.

This was really hard to move back and forth, so spent an hour with degreaser, steel wool, and silicon spray trying to clean up the tracks and get everything to slide easier. It got slightly better, but still gets stuck at either end, and kind of stumbles through the range vs. sliding easily.

Anyone had this problem? Any tips? The whole thing is put together with rivets so don't feel super comfortable trying to take it apart. Is this something I'd have to get from a junkyard or does anyone sell replacements?

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

I just had a similar problem, 89 Vert LX 5.0 & my drivers side rear 1/4 window wouldn't go up or down, & I knew that the motor was working. I read on a Mustang forum that indicated that the problem cud be an easy fix, & a common problem. Sure enough the plastic bushings were in pieces. I went to Auto Zone & didn't ask for help, & I found the part: Window Guide Assortment. Let me know if you have any questions.

Attachments

• 20150819_132341.jpg
    20150819_132341.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 157
quarter window motor.JPG
IMG_1033 (2).jpg
3 small bushings, they disintegrate over time, they're one dollar help parts at the parts store. they fit in the corners of the white triangle

or what Mike said too

Thanks guys. It's actually not the motor that's busted, it's the regulator assembly that gets stuck. When I take the motor off the plate, it spins perfectly fine. When I connect it to the regulator, it no longer turns, even without being connected to the actual window. This is the problem I'm having.

Last edited:
I guess the motor could be jamming under load. I'm not sure if the motor is the fault or the actual assembly that pushes the window up and down is too jammed to operate smoothly. Maybe I'll replace those bushings and be 100% sure it's not the motor and see if that fixes it. Thanks

Reactions: 1 user