Fox 90 Lx

What year is the car? The newer t5's are stouter than the early models. get a RAM clutch and a new cable, maximum motor sport or Ford all other cables will give you headaches - the trans guy can install if its beyond you.... That'll give you great clutch pedal feel, and don't worry even stock and tired the fox will do a burnout with no effort ;)

Valve cover gaskets are a royal pain in the 5.0 you have to pull the intake upper half to change the passenger side - bolts are under the 5.0 intake badge plate you need allen wrenches to remove the cover plate take your time the get stuck from time..

MAF - unplug it and unbolt the 2 bolts holding its bracket to the shock tower - its now free, so dont let it fall removing the bolts...
go over to the side yard and using the bracket as a handle spray the MAF really well inside and out with cleaner - dont mess up the screen inside but be sure its clean and no little cr*p on it like leaf debrise etc reinstall, Then spray the mess outta the Throttle body, be sure you get behind the plate to clean the stuff thats attached there...

You probably know all this, but having a fox 5.0 these procedures become second nature / annual events.

Welcome to the World of Fox Mustangs!

Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

^^^ very good advise. My only counter is I've seen plenty of t5's with problems with stock power levels. Agreed driving style is the most determining factor. If you always "granny" shift they will last a long time even with moderate power. Clutches are also a factor/as well as tires. For example a high pressure plate and some real sticky tires will destroy a stock/rebuilt t5 quickly.
Another tip for the budget builder: when you're out driving like a drunk teenager remember how long it took to save to get it up and running good. It's harder to find the money
this weekend i will be installing new headers a cold air intake and also cleaning the throttle body and mass air. my new valve covers and gaskets arrived but i dont feel confident enough on doing it myself so i will wait to do that until next week at somepoint.
If I can do valve covers and gaskets you can. When I had my 90 I too had a valve cover gasket leak so i replaced gaskets and covers. It wasn't hard but the upper intake has to come off but it's only a handful of bolts. "Google" upper intake removal. If you can put on headers you can do valvecovers.

Reactions: 1 user
Another tip for the budget builder: when you're out driving like a drunk teenager remember how long it took to save to get it up and running good. It's harder to find the money

If I can do valve covers and gaskets you can. When I had my 90 I too had a valve cover gasket leak so i replaced gaskets and covers. It wasn't hard but the upper intake has to come off but it's only a handful of bolts. "Google" upper intake removal. If you can put on headers you can do valvecovers.

i will look it up and hopefully it gives me that push of confidence to do it.