93 5.0 Computer Question H E L P

Hello, All. I have a 93 5.0 installed in a 66 Convertible. The C3W computer (F3ZF-12A650-FA) has a broken pin and will not allow the engine to start. I can't find a computer with the same part number (only one year used). Are there any other computers out there that will substitute for this one? This is NOT a performance car so a little tamer computer would not be an issue for me. The donor car was a 5 speed and I know that the C3W is for an auto but it was running fine before I disassembled the 93 for the swap. Any guidance is appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

What trans was the donor car. Reason I ask is because the o2 harness is pinned differently depending on trans. If originally a stick car, you need a 5spd trans.

Pic of A9L incoming

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
6b769775c56f5821d2d55395a2135e0b.jpg

89-92 5spd computer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Before I pull the box down off the shelf let me ask you this, have you attempted to fix it?
Solder and imagination go a long way, you have nothing to loose trying. Take a few pictures of the damage and post them up so we can see if it's repairable.

Before I pull the box down off the shelf let me ask you this, have you attempted to fix it?
Solder and imagination go a long way, you have nothing to loose trying. Take a few pictures of the damage and post them up so we can see if it's repairable.
Yes, I attempted to pull a pin that is not used and replace the damaged pin. But, in removing the unused pin I crushed the pin so it is useless. Also, I don't know how to remove the pins without damaging them. If there is a trick to getting the pins out, I'd be interested to know how. I did get the original pin back in the EEC but contact is intermittent at best and I don't want that going on with the computer. In the picture, the pin on top is the unused pin I removed from an adjacent location. I pretty much destroyed it getting it out. The bottom pin is the original. I inserted a stick pin in it ang got it somewhat rounded and back in the EEC but the connection is intermittent, as I said. I think I'd just as soon get a good computer that's right for the car. Thanks for your help. Let me know if you are willing to sell the A9L.

Attachments

• IMG_0846.jpg
    IMG_0846.jpg
    305.5 KB · Views: 148
The pins must be desolered and removed from the back side of the connector.

If you are getting an intermittent signal then put the pin back in and solder it from the back side, it may be difficult to get to but can be done...

What pin number is damaged there may yet be an alternative.

IMG_0848.jpg
I don't see any way to get to the point that the wire and pin join. The two plastic parts (grey outer and green inner) that house the pins are epoxied and will be destroyed to separate them. I've included pics of inner and outer views.

Attachments

• IMG_0849.jpg
    IMG_0849.jpg
    595.4 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_0850.jpg
    IMG_0850.jpg
    428.9 KB · Views: 104
Pin 45 is for baro correction.

Car should still start.

Solder a piece of wire onto the pin inside the eec run it thru the j-port to the harness and make a temporary connection to the wire for pin 45. If done correctly this could be used as a permanent solution.

As for pin 46.

With the EEC removed, check for voltage on the PIN 46 during the following conditions
Ignition On
Ignition off
Ignition on Clutch in
Ignition on Cranking
Ignition on Cranking Clutch in.

Should be no voltage under any circumstance. If you do, there is a wiring issue somewhere that needs to be addressed before you plug any computer in and fire it up.

Did the car ever run at all with the computer, or is this the initial setup?