94 - 98 vin decoder for gear ratio ??? help

• Sponsors (?)

Look inside the door jamb for the sticker and under 'AXLE' there is a code. Mine (5 speed) has an 'E' and had 3.27's. I think most auto's had 3.08's but I don't know the code for it or the 2.73's that were also in some cars from the factory.

redlined50 said:
i thought the autos had the 327's and the 5's had 308's

nope. autos have 3.08s, and the standard 5spd gear was 2.73, with the 3.27s being an option.

and the easiest way is to look at the diff cover. no letter codes for the gears back there, itll actually basicly say it on the tag. 3E27 or 2L73,
easy to figure out which is which :nice:

JLstang351 said:
when i bought mine last year,It came w/ the original sticker! On there it says rear diff option, or something like that. was that the option for 3.27's?

i would imagine that would be it..

where did you buy it from?

Axle Code

98stang4.6 said:
thanks for the replies.... the code in my door under axle is " EZ " does anyone know the gear code for that ?
The axle code has only one letter not two. You are apparently looking at the wrong code, possibly the interior code or paint code. It should be an A or a C for axle code choices. A being a 2.73 and also designates a 3.08 ratio. The C is for the 3.27 ratio. This info is straight out of the 1998 Ford Service manual I have. Hope this helps you. You may want to know next what to put in the car in place of the stock gears. Well let me make a suggestion and trust me on this one, put a set of 4.10 gears in it and you will think you bought a new Cobra !! I have the same set up in my car and love it !!! It still cruises just fine at hwy speeds ( 70-75 ) and runs like a bat out he__ from a dead stop !!! Don't let anyone tell you different !! You will also need to change the plastic speedo gear in the tranny to compensate for the lower gears and correct the spedometer readings. GEF Racing offers a 21 tooth gear that pretty much takes care of the difference and can be installed in about 5 min. The only drawback is this, the tranny shifts awful fast from first to second just easing along. I still need to get a chip to take care of that shift point differnce, but have not done it yet. Other than that it is great !!! It will launch with a T/A or Z/28 with this mod and put you in the back seat at a full throttle start !! Best mod I did besides the OR H-pipe and flowmasters ! GOOD LUCK !! KARS :nice: