94 Cobra Help

Overtheft

Aug 25, 2015
so... To get started I bought a 94 5.0 cobra for a great price and started to do quite a few different things to it. Most recently is change the spark plugs wires cap and rotor. While changing the plugs I cracked a new one and had to replace it again. Ever since I've done the job I get a misfire once in awhile. Cold starts and just sitting at the light. So at work(I'm a mechanic) I took everything back apart. Plugs don't look cracked anywhere. In the process I destroyed a new wire. Instead of taking chances I bought another wire kit. Still misses. Originally had platinum sand I switch to oem motorcraft. After more aimless wondering I figured I can just put new platnuims in. Bought them and gonna do it tomorrow. Was thinking about hooking to scanner to it. Just wondering if there is a misfire monitor that can point a direction on the scanner to which cylinder it is? Any help will help!!! Thanks. By the way. Hi!!!! Hahahah

• Sponsors (?)

Congrats on the Cobra purchase! They are fun cars.

1994 is OBDI, so it doesn't have misfire detection. That wasn't a legal requirement until 1996 with OBDII.

How bad is the miss? Even stock 302s don't idle all that smooth and can twitch at somewhat irregular intervals, especially if you have the base timing bumped up on the distributor.

You don't have misfire detection, however running the cylinder balance test can be even more useful in pinpointing the problem cylinder. Double / triple check your firing order as well, it's not hard to mess it up changing a cap.