95 Cobra vs 95 GT

kolkid

Mar 30, 2005
k i tryed searching but had no luck (if its a repost sorry just plz paste a link and thanks)
which one is better 5.0 gt or cobra and why
i know the cobra has 240 horses stock and the GT has 215 so theres only 25 hp difference there, what is the main difference between these two cars? does this cobra have a supercharger like the 96+? is it a DOHC? do both of this have the t5? is the t5 any good? is a 95 cobra worth the extra $$$?
thanks to all who reply

• Sponsors (?)

The cobra is better (to me at least) due to limited production, (rarity), GT-40 heads and intake (additional horsepower). The only cobra that was factory with a supercharger is the 03 currently. The 95 is not a DOHC, that would apply to the 96 and newer models. Both would have the T-5 and yes, its a good tranny as long as it isn't abused daily. Hope that helps.

The 94/95 Cobra has the same T5 transmission but with a bit stouter clutch disc.

The 94/95 Cobra has 1.7 roller rockers, gt40 heads, cobra intake, bigger mass air flow sensor, 24lb injectors, different cam (doesn't do anything productive over the gt though).

The 94-95 gt's and cobra's are pushrod engines. The 96+ Gt's are SOHC and the 96-98,99,01,03/04 Cobra's are DOHC. The 03/04's are the only Cobras that come from the factory with a supercharger.

The 94/95 Cobra has a bit better suspension over the gt and a17in. wheel package over the Gt's 16in. rims. The Cobra's have white guages...

It's all up to what you want to spend. They are nice cars...and both very reliable :nice:

what would have to be done to a 95 cobra in order for it to stand a chance against a 99/01 Cobra? a ls1? a s2000? how much would it cost? would it be cheaper to get a 99 cobra? (no im not considereing the other 2 cars just woundering... i hate hondas and camaros look stupid imo)

kolkid said:
a stock cobra? wow thats quite a bit more
do u know if its rwhp

They dyno around 230rwhp or so...maybe a bit more. The 270bhp number is at the motor.

Gears will help it out a bit more. They come with 3:08's...a 373 gear will wake it up :nice:

I have a 94 Cobra and before any mods I dynoed 242rwhp. After some headers back, and o/r H, catback, superchip, and a good tune, she put down 264rwhp. There is power to be had. I have seen over 300rwhp with a good h/c/i install, and over 450 with an h/c/i, super charger, and safe to moderate tune. Car does pretty good with mods as long as you are willing to tune.

More details on the cardomain site in my sig. Great car, and well worth the money. 94-95 Cobras also have a nicer brake setup as well.

If you're looking to modify the stang to outrun a 99/01 Cobra, then you can do it cheaper with a 94-95 GT. The lower end of the 5.0s is the same with the exception of the cam. After swapping heads, cam, and intake, you can make the GT outrun the hell out of a stock 99-01 Cobra. The bonus for the Cobra is it's rarity as stated above. If you get into modifying them, they are on an equal playing field once you've gone as far as h/c/i.

Above it is mentioned that the '03 to date is the only supercharged Cobra. Am I under the mistaken impression that they had a supercharged Cobra in '04 just like the '03?

5spdGT, the 99s did have a problem putting out the advertised numbers, but ford also had a factory recall to fix it.

5spd GT said:
The 94/95 Cobra has the same T5 transmission but with a bit stouter clutch disc.

The 94/95 Cobra has 1.7 roller rockers, gt40 heads, cobra intake, bigger mass air flow sensor, 24lb injectors, different cam (doesn't do anything productive over the gt though).

The 94-95 gt's and cobra's are pushrod engines. The 96+ Gt's are SOHC and the 96-98,99,01,03/04 Cobra's are DOHC. The 03/04's are the only Cobras that come from the factory with a supercharger.

The 94/95 Cobra has a bit better suspension over the gt and a17in. wheel package over the Gt's 16in. rims. The Cobra's have white guages...

It's all up to what you want to spend. They are nice cars...and both very reliable :nice:
as far as the rims go GTs had the optional 17 inch tri spoke wheels, the 16 inch "waffle" wheels were standard. i would get the cobra over the GT simply because it has more power. and more power potential.

MarSaleenMustan said:
i would get the cobra over the GT simply because it has more power. and more power potential.

Only with the stock parts. We dealing with the same lower end though, so I wouldn't say it had more potential and leave it at that.

Chris

FastDriver said:
5spdGT, the 99s did have a problem putting out the advertised numbers, but ford also had a factory recall to fix it.

Yes, I am aware of that...but I wonder if I got into the dealership...not likely...I was just pointing out the possibilities...

MarSaleenMustang - Which you give me a link to a picture of the 17" wheels on a Gt from the factory?

As I stated earlier...03/04 Cobra's are the only ones to be a production car that came with a supercharger...not counting the Saleen/Steeda/Roush line...