First start up.

Attachments

• IMG_2963_zpscsvp45ln.jpg
    IMG_2963_zpscsvp45ln.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 214
  • Sponsors (?)

DSCN1296_zps52d50e83.jpg
DSCN1297_zpsc94013ce.jpg
I had some time this week to work on the mustang. I have been experiencing a bad miss at all rpms, the engine would cutout within a few minutes and wouldn't start back up until cold. It didn't take to long to figure out that a relocated SPOUT connector was the source of the miss and dying issues. I returned the SPOUT connector wiring back to stock and no more miss or dying. It was deffinately getting a trash signal with no shielding.

Finished the rest of the engine bay up. Hope to drive it next monday.

Attachments

• DSCN1296_zps52d50e83.jpg
    DSCN1296_zps52d50e83.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 264
  • DSCN1297_zpsc94013ce.jpg
    DSCN1297_zpsc94013ce.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 206
Reactions: 1 users
This is a late update, i apologe. The car is complete and almost all of the bugs are worked out. here are a few pictures of her.

If you ever thought about a 351 swap with a blower or turbo. Do It and you will not be disappointed. This car drives, in everyway, differently that a modded 302. It drives anyway you could imagine a good built street engine should. there is no lag, no bogging, i can drive the car at 1200rpm in 5th gear and still pick up speed easily.
DSCN1696_zpssqplsnn5.jpg

Reactions: 6 users
Looking bad ass, especially considering what you started with. However, we need a video or two of her running and driving if it can be managed. There isnt a single one of us in here (except the crazy Alabaman) that wouldnt want to flog that thing around town.

Will do. I have pull the engine back down. There are bad vibrations in the rotating assembly. The project is getting better by the day. Will post more pictures of the tear down

Good looking convertible. I like the torque and overall power of the vortech vs a turbo. however I have only owned 4cyl turbod cars and one v6 twinturbo. This combo of big displacement and forced induction is rare and it drives very well.

Good luck with whatever u do just take your time and meticulously build the setup. My problem now is from miscommunication between me and the machinist. I ask for it to be balanced. He said it didn't need to be balanced. We'll 600 miles later and it needs to be balanced

Good looking convertible. I like the torque and overall power of the vortech vs a turbo. however I have only owned 4cyl turbod cars and one v6 twinturbo. This combo of big displacement and forced induction is rare and it drives very well.

Good luck with whatever u do just take your time and meticulously build the setup. My problem now is from miscommunication between me and the machinist. I ask for it to be balanced. He said it didn't need to be balanced. We'll 600 miles later and it needs to be balanced

Ha, that sucks man. Why would your machinist think an engine with new pistons wouldn't need balanced?

Cool ongoing build, BTW. Is that lower intake cast iron or aluminum? I have heard the marine lowers are iron.

My dad and brother are boat mechanics and we were talking about marine GT40s the other day. They told me that they've scrapped a few in the past... I about crapped my pants. They know now not to get rid of any GT40 engines without consulting me first haha.

It is a iron lower. I bought it new for 350. Overall it is a great intake.

The stock marine pistons are approximately 648 grams. The probes I put in are advirtised as 571 grams. So that will deffinately cause a vibration. Mistakes are made sometimes, he has been a very good person to do business with over the years, he just misjudged this time and we all make mistakes but very few own up to them

well it has been almost a year since I posted last on this thread and alot has happened since then so I am going to bring it back from the dead and give you episode 2. Standby, it gets good.

Reactions: 2 users
I last posted the vibration issue i was having with the 351 immediatly at first start up so I want to give some history and progression of events. 1 to inform and 2 just for fun reading. i replaced the flywheel and harmonic balancer with no fix. I drove the car with the vibration for 600 miles or so. After a few metallic oil changes, I decided to pull the motor and check it out.

This is what I found.

20150513_181316_zpsjrfjfr4v.jpg

Bad scuffing right? but only on cylinders 5-8, the other side looked normal. As I dug deeper, I found the rod bearings, only 5-8, had heavy wear on the radius side of the crank, everything else was normal and clean. With this info, I called the machinest and he was equally confused until he asked me which way I installed the pistons on that side. Of course I had installed them correctly but quickly realized that he had installed the rods backwards with the rod chanfer inboard and I did not catch it when I put it all together.

This led to the rod binding and piston scuffing. One Catastrofic problem waiting to happen and vibration source found. On to the second cause. The pistons were much lighter than the stock ones, which could have caused a very small issue but really shouldn't have been felt.