96 Exp Gt40p In 91 Lx

builtbyskippy

Sep 8, 2013
I recently bought a 91 lx hatch that originally had a 2.3. The cars front suspension has been upgraded to the gt goodies. The previous owner did a 5.0 swap from an old crown Vic I think, its a non mass air 5.0 ho. I came across a few 96 explorer's with the gt40p's and such. I want to pull my current 5.0 ho and put the engine from one of the explorer's in my 91. My initial concern is do I pull the ecu from the exp, or pull one from a mass aired fox? When I pull the explorer engine ill be pulling the harness as well. Any guidance is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

• Sponsors (?)

The '96 Explorer's had the GT40 heads, not the GT40P's.

You'll want a complete MAF system (harness, MAF meter, ECU, sensors, etc) from the Mustang to do the converstion, not the Explorer The wiring harness and MAF meter will work, but you'll have to play mix and match with the sensors....and the ECU is totally different.. Was your prior Crown Vic engine converted to HO specs? Otherwise, all Crown Vic's were non HO engines. The firing order will tell you for certain.

The Crown Vic uses the standard 302W firing order of 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8
The Mustang uses the 351W firing order of 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8

If the Crown Vic engine was converted to HO and everything runs well, you might get away with just doing the engine swap and sticking with the Speed Density set up. Some ECU's are sensitive to major head and intake changes (like the differences between the GT40/Explorer head/intake combo vs the stock Mustang E7TE) and others are not. It's a toss of the dice really.

In any case, you'll want a Mustang camshaft in that Explorer engine and a better set of valve springs regardless. The stock Explorer pieces were non performance oriented, to say the least.

The intake plate said 5.0 ford HO, that means nothing.all I know is that the engine is tired and I want to replace it. so explorer 5.0 with a mustang cam, and the wiring harness, ecu, maf unit and select sensors and I hopefully will b good to go

You may want to investigate your car a bit more first. What injectors are on the car? Orange 19# injectors? Or something else. What ecu is in the fender well? I bet it's running an 86-88 mustang speed density system.

You only need to grab the physical explorer motor. The electronics are of no use. You are gonna pull your engine, strip both down to the long block and build the explorer motor using the mustang timing covers, accessories, wiring and outer hardware.

Reactions: 1 user