'97 Water Pump

Cullpadro

Aug 16, 2015
Hiya folks. I'm new around here. My name is Cullan, and I'm in Seattle. I've gotten myself a '97 3.8 Rio Red baby, and she needs a little lovin'.

That done.

Currently I'm trying to replace the water pump. I've gotten the stupid bracket under the hose off. Pulled off all the bolts. Then ran into the power steering pulley.

Lemme tell you about this sumbitch. It's stuck. Like. STUCK stuck.

Or, I'll just show you the process. Tried using a pulley puller. Managed to tear the lip off the pulley. So I tried a 3 arm puller, and ended up breaking part of the pulley. First it looked like this. Finally, all that's left is this.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get that collar off? I've read others used a dremel, and just chewed it up, but I'm a bit worried about the amount of PB B'laster and leaked oil around the area causing a fire. I tried using a tie rod end puller, but the shaft of the puller is just a *tiny* bit too big to fit onto the shaft of the pump.

And no, before you suggest it...I can't get the damn pump off at all. The bolt right under the alternator is stuck on, and I can't get the leverage to break it.

Also, I'm having trouble with the water outlet. It's metal, and the elbow on it is metal as well, going al lthe way back to the firewall...so how does it get off? I cant get two of the studs out, but the nuts are off...otherwise it seems like it would just slide out. And just an aside. How the hell long is this stud. Seriously. It's taking FOREVER to crank out.

• Sponsors (?)

Go to a parts store and borrow or rent the correct pulley puller for that power steering pump. It locks onto that collar although it's buggered up you may have a problem with it.
PBlaster...use it. Nothing will blow up. I promise.

Remove the bolts. They are various lengths so make a note where they go to replace them. Once they are remove just hit the pump with a rubber hammer or a hammer and block of wood. It's stuck pretty good but it should come of with a few good blows.

If you read, I did use the pulley puller. It tore the lip of the collar off (as seen in the pictures) hence the three arm puller, which also destroyed it.

I've done the mallet and block thing already. The outlet tube still won't budge. My next move will be to cut it and repair with a Fernco fitting.

So work sent me to Alaska for three weeks...apparently that's what it took to get that outlet to budge.

Now I've run into another problem...The bracket that runs from the power steering pump to the water pump has gone missing. I assume my neighbor got 'helpful' and threw it out. How important is the thing...doesn't seem much to me, but...I just need it to drive for a week or so, so I can get to a pick and pull and buy another.