99 GT brakes on my 94 gt?

Mar 31, 2005
my buddy just installed the cobra brake package on his 99 GT and i was wondering if there is much of an advantage to swap out my current brake set-up (stock)for his old one. i would love better brakes since ours are a little weak stock, but i dont know if it is possible, or even worth while, maybe they are pretty much the same :shrug: thanks for the feedback, Kyle
(i tried a search but couldnt find relavent threads)

• Sponsors (?)

i was in the same situation. my buddy put bullitt brake package on his 2000gt and gave me his old stuff. i put the PBR calipers on, slotted rotors, hawk pads, and SS front lines and noticed a huge difference. i think that the swap was def. worth it. and IMO they look a lot better since they fill out the wheel a little more. if you decide to do the swap here is a link that i found very helpful. http://www.svo73mm.cjb.net/

and here is a pic of them. i also here that the pbr's polish up real nice.

View attachment 364037

I think the aluminum GT calipers fit under 16" wheels, too. They are the same calipers as the V6, from 99 and up and I think the wheels on those are 16". I have a set of them. I'm thinking about putting them on.

it was worth it to me....

pbrbrakecaliper7-7-06002.jpg

Attachments

• pbrbrakecaliper7-7-06002.jpg
    pbrbrakecaliper7-7-06002.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 49
Those PBR's stop really nice...I swapped those onto my notchback. They stop great, and they do clear 16 inch wheels.

The only thing I want to add, is to use some antisieze on the small bolts that hold the caliper to the bracket. They are small 12 or 13mm bolts so they could break if they freeze in the bracket.

well i dont have to worry about a 16" wheel clearance since im running 17" 03 cobra wheels. but this gets me thinking.... maybe its worth the cost... how much extra cash is needed above teh cost of the used calipers and rotors?

I did the swap when buddy went to Baer brakes on his 2000gt. I gave him like 100$ for the take offs to be fair. I got some autozone/advanced pads (I would like to try some EBC/Hawk pads later) and some red paint. I cleaned up the calipers with a wire wheel and painted them. Other than the new bolts I had to get as I lost the stock ones I prob. had 150 or so total.

I did take my time when I was grinding on the spindle as some room needs to be made. I probably test fitted the caliper dozens of times checking clearance.

I can tell the diff. over the stock brakes. For the cost I dont really see how you could go too wrong.

I am not saying they are cobra/mach/bullitt breaks those are hands down better. But for 1/4 the cost the 99+ is lighter and better than our stock gt stuff. I also would like to make note that I cannot run cobra brakes with my 17in rims with out a spacer and I want to move my tire alittle further "in" not "out" as it is. Cobra style brakes do not clear American Racing Torq. Thrust II's. I may change my mind someday and get some bear/brembo's though and run a spacer but I will be able to sell my 99+ setup for a good bit of what I have in it too.

their worth it. dual piston alum. calipers, much better than out single piston el crapo ones.

they also use the same rotors as we do (if yours are in good shape) but pads are different.

dontforget to bleed your brakes and while your at it might as well change all ur brake fluid, that alone will make a HUGE difference in pedal feel

I have installed 2 sets of '99+ pbr calipers. They were $40.00 a set complete with brackets and hoses at the salvage. The first set on my tbird has phenolic pistons and they drag slightly until the car rolls. The second set I bought for the Mustang has steel pistons.

Make sure you get the steel pistons, they won't drag.