A good tip if you rent a U-haul!

SmockDoiley

Jun 14, 2003
San Diego, CA
So I recently picked up a 56 Dodge pickup that was 2 hours away. After trying to get some people to let me use their stuff, nothing came up. So off to U-haul I went but I didnt want to pay $.49/mile for a local move and have to drive around 250 miles. I rented the truck anyways and had some fun with it when I got home. It took me awhile to find because I was assuming it would be on the tranny, but I tracked down the speed sensor. Since most newer vehicles use electrically signals and not mechanical speedos, its an easy disconnection to unlimited free mileage. Try it next time your making an intown move. This trick saved me over $120!! The speed sensor ended up being on the pumpkin in the rearend. The truck was a Ford F-350. It took like 3 seconds to disconnect the sensor and another 3 to hook it back up when I got back. I only clocked 25 miles, but drover over 250 because I got lost finding the truck. Anyways, just a little tip to help my fellow mustang friends. Have a good night. P.S., dont mess with the connections to the tranny or you'll mess with the torque converter, lol, man that thing started stalling at 3000 like a dragster,lol!!!!!

• Sponsors (?)

You can't do that if your going to move from one city to another though - just did that.

I have a 15% off voucher for a truck rental I can't use, which is worth $100-$200 if your moving from city to city - PM me if anyone is interested.

steemin said:
I don't mean to be a party pooper but...
That is stealing..
What makes you think that it is okay to not pay for something that you agreed to in a contract?

True in one sense,but if you need the truck you are Forced to accept what they charge per mile,and some people may feel it`s too much and look for a way to beat the system,(one of those grey area things). :shrug:

SmockDoiley said:
So I recently picked up a 56 Dodge pickup that was 2 hours away. After trying to get some people to let me use their stuff, nothing came up. So off to U-haul I went but I didnt want to pay $.49/mile for a local move and have to drive around 250 miles. I rented the truck anyways and had some fun with it when I got home. It took me awhile to find because I was assuming it would be on the tranny, but I tracked down the speed sensor. Since most newer vehicles use electrically signals and not mechanical speedos, its an easy disconnection to unlimited free mileage. Try it next time your making an intown move. This trick saved me over $120!! The speed sensor ended up being on the pumpkin in the rearend. The truck was a Ford F-350. It took like 3 seconds to disconnect the sensor and another 3 to hook it back up when I got back. I only clocked 25 miles, but drover over 250 because I got lost finding the truck. Anyways, just a little tip to help my fellow mustang friends. Have a good night. P.S., dont mess with the connections to the tranny or you'll mess with the torque converter, lol, man that thing started stalling at 3000 like a dragster,lol!!!!!
:hail2:

suprised that a big company like uhaul don't put something to stop people from doing that...anyways...I'll be trying it next time!
This is the one and only StangNet after all... :nice: Only us nutbars would actually be crazy enough (clever enough?) to do it :D nice SmockDoiley

MUSTANGJOE said:
suprised that a big company like uhaul don't put something to stop people from doing that...anyways...I'll be trying it next time! :D

90%+ of the people renting thier trucks don't even know what a speed sensor is, let a lone finding it and disconnecting it.

It must have been a somewhat older truck, because many of the newer vehicles would run like crap, pop a check engine light, and probally woudn't shift.

Which sensor made it stall to 3000rpm?

funny stuff, we shoulda did that when we moved city to city (about 800 km's) woulda been funny to see the look on their face when the truck pulls up with hardly any miles when they knew it came from another province :rlaugh:

but still it is stealing, what if the truck broke down on the highway, talk your way outta that one

8950HO said:
steemin said:
I don't mean to be a party pooper but...
That is stealing..
What makes you think that it is okay to not pay for something that you agreed to in a contract?

True in one sense,but if you need the truck you are Forced to accept what they charge per mile,and some people may feel it`s too much and look for a way to beat the system,(one of those grey area things). :shrug:

I am sorry but this is not a "grey area".
I don't know why people think it is okay to steal from companies.
How would you feel if I came to your house and stole the tires off your car?
I guess it is only okay if it is from a business.
Is shoplifting okay?
How about dining and dashing at a restaurant?
Stealing is stealing. Period!
Scott

Thanks Scott. Next time I won't sneak candy and a soda in a movie theatre. I won't try to beat speeding tickets, just pay by mail.

The amount of people to actually do this won't even make enough difference to be concerned. If you think them charging $5 for 10 miles + gas on a truck that probably gets 12mpg loaded up then you do it. I opt to STEAL .000000000000002% of the companies profit.

And the thing about stealing tires was really dumb. Stealing $500 worth of tires from 1 person and stealing $100 from THOUSANDS of people that work for u-haul does balance out. Use an analogy that makes some kind of sense.

And if your state or federal gov't raises your taxes ONE percent. EVERYONE, all 1.6billion or whatever taxpaying citizens all got robbed to pay one organization to do research on why testicles don't come in 3's.

GET A LIFE... Scott.

Fox

The Fox said:
Thanks Scott. Next time I won't sneak candy and a soda in a movie theatre. I won't try to beat speeding tickets, just pay by mail.

The amount of people to actually do this won't even make enough difference to be concerned. If you think them charging $5 for 10 miles + gas on a truck that probably gets 12mpg loaded up then you do it. I opt to STEAL .000000000000002% of the companies profit.

And the thing about stealing tires was really dumb. Stealing $500 worth of tires from 1 person and stealing $100 from THOUSANDS of people that work for u-haul does balance out. Use an analogy that makes some kind of sense.

And if your state or federal gov't raises your taxes ONE percent. EVERYONE, all 1.6billion or whatever taxpaying citizens all got robbed to pay one organization to do research on why testicles don't come in 3's.

GET A LIFE... Scott.

Fox,
I do have a life. A very good one thank you..

Let me make sure that I understand your logic.
It is okay because:

1) It is only a small percentage of the companies profit.

2) You think that they charge to much. So that makes it okay.
(even though you signed a contract agreeing to thier terms)

3) something to do with testicles that I couldn't follow?

Your failure to grasp the simple concept of "right and wrong" amazes me.
How can you possibly defend stealing in any form?
Behaviour and attitudes of this nature are destructive to our society.
Who is the one that gets to draw the line and decides what level of stealing is acceptable.
Scott