A Likely Dumb Fuel Injection Question(s)

horseballz

10 Year Member
Sep 30, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Hey All,
Not been around much recently, as I have rekindled my addiction of playing Blues & Rock Music in a band after a 15 year hiatus. I do still, however drive my 68 coupe daily and must say it sure is a blast to leave a gig in a roaring cloud of 2-wheel tire smoke and exhaust stench! View attachment 111594 I have always avoided fuel injection due to the seemingly complicated and messy process of utilizing late model stuff in our older cars. Has anyone in the last few years come out with a trimmed down control system for 5.0 fuel injection that is fairly easy to trouble shoot when required? I have a 99 5.0 with "P" heads, B303 cam, Y-Try headers, 2 1/2" exhaust, T5 and 3.80 Trac-Loc.
All Help Appreciated,
Gene

• Sponsors (?)

Check out the throttle body style self tuning systems. Several are tempting for a daily driver conversion.
Yeah,
But all That I've seen are pretty pricey, whereas I can "pic & pull" a complete system including intake, etc, sensors, harness and computer for less than $150! I would think that by now, someone would have come up with a system utilizing a simpler computer/controller and less elaborate harness for this conversion. I mean there are only a few requi9red sensors and the injectors, how complicated can it be? This is my daily driver and I'm generally retired, trying to live on a blues guitarist's income of titties & beer!
Thanx 4 The Thought,
Gene

Save your money for patch cables and use the carb. $150 will not get the computer tuned to your application, none the less replace a few bad used sensors. If a Holley all in one is too much, do not mess with it.

A carb spacer, a heat reflector and some fuel line wrap should take care of the hot day fuel issue. And you will have to drive an awful lot of fuel to pay for a good system.
Or move somewhere cooler!

A carb spacer, a heat reflector and some fuel line wrap should take care of the hot day fuel issue. And you will have to drive an awful lot of fuel to pay for a good system.
Or move somewhere cooler!

Been htere, done that, got the t-shirt on the spacer, reflector and wrap. Also, the issue/possible solution is not purely economically motivated. Excellent performance, dependability & drivability are the prime concerns, although some better fuel mileage wouldn't hurt either. It just seems that someone must have developed a trimmed down ECM and harness for this type of use? It's kind of ludicrous that the price of just a bare bones harness to utilize an OEM ECM is so pricey at $550-$750! Although, even if I add up the initial $150 at the boneyard for the whole system, including an ECM plus, say, $600 for a harness, plus allow up to $200 for associated incidentals (fuel pump, fuel return/tank mods) I still come in under $1000. Is there some part of the picture I'm missing? Understand that my car has cost me nothing above routine maintenance costs for the more than 4 years I've been driving it since installing a brand new, not rebuilt 5.0/T5/TracLoc drivetrain. All suspension, steering and breaking systems have already been properly addressed/ upgraded as well as the AC system. The FORD RACING B303 cam with 1.7:1 ratio roller rockers IS a bit overkill for the street/daily driving and I HAVE considered going back to a stock Explorer cam for drivability, but would rather not give up the "tip of the toe" response/fun that +300 hp provides!:p If all could be said and done for under $1200, it would be doable for me. From what many folks have told me about the GT40"P" heads that are on my engine, even though they supposedly flow quite well, they really don't lend themselves well to carbureted use except in pedal to the metal applications, but are excellent for fuel injected, daily driver use. Oh, and moving from the Las vegas "land of no rust" area is not a realistic option!
Thanx 4 Your Thoughts,
Gene

A friend of mine just did the FAST fuel injection on his 67 fastback
with a 428, he said he loves it .Instant throtle response ,it starts right up and idles on its own . Increased the fuel mileage with no drop in horse power . He said it came to $1500 . I believe this is what i will be using on my 69 351 Windsor .

You could always swap out to a 2-barrel....but something tells me you're not gonna be down for that? ;)

Seriously though, if the thought of spending $1,000 plus dollars converting to EFI scares you, then just stick with the carburetor. You can buy an awful lot fuel for a grand.

You could always swap out to a 2-barrel....but something tells me you're not gonna be down for that? ;)

Seriously though, if the thought of spending $1,000 plus dollars converting to EFI scares you, then just stick with the carburetor. You can buy an awful lot fuel for a grand.

$1000 and even a bit more doesn't scare me, however, ending up well over $2000 and more and having to reinvent the wheel does!
Jim, how did your friend get into that FAST setup for that kinda $$$$? All my research looks to be $2K+.
Thanks Guys,
Gene

All my carb cars have had excellent street ability and start up when properly tuned. Unless you are going from sea level to the mountains and back, you should be able to get the carb tuned better and be within a few MPG and HP of a Basic fuel injection system. FI will help with emissions and getting that last little bit out under varying conditions.

For your Fox body injection parts, you can easily get the engine harness wiring diagram and the alternator wiring diagram both on the Fox tech board. Do you have a wiring diagram for the 68? Can someone post one? You are the second one I can think of who needs it lately.