Fox A Little Feedback

RangerJoe

I leave the horn on while driving
15 Year Member
Apr 26, 2010
Georgia
So about a month ago I started a small build thread for my 331 HCI swap, but in the midst of working through some small problems, I kinda let it go. The car is together, and with the exception of a front end alignment and a far off tune, it is back in order. I thought I would review a few of the parts I used, as some of you had asked for feedback on them.

-Spec aluminum flywheel
Its really not bad. I put a new clutch in at the same time, so everything felt different the first time I drove it, but with under 100 miles on it, I have adjusted to it and it feels normal again. I do have 4.10 gears, and that may help with it.

-Ram Powergrip HD Clutch
I had a BAD experience with Ram in the past and said I would never run one again. However, Tony from Astro Performance recommended it for my setup, and since I trusted him with my last clutch, I followed through again. This is probably the LIGHTEST pedal feel I have ever had with a clutch in my Mustang. The only other change I have made was an extended clutch fork for the McLeod bellhousing, which may help with leverage, I don't know. But so far, I have been very pleased with it. We will see how long it last.

-SVO RPM Extender
I know, its old technology. But, I am having no problem finding my 6600rpm rev limiter with it. I have the AFR set to 13:1, but will not be able to verify it until it is on a dyno (hopefully soon). For $100, I am completely happy with the job it is doing.

-FTI Custom Cam
I am a little hesitant to review this yet for fear of being flogged. It sounds absolutely awesome, and pulls hard to the rev limiter. In all honestly, I couldn't tell you where power comes on at, because the car feels like it has power everywhere. The part I am a little disappointed in is the lack of vacuum. I know everything is a compromise, but I have discovered that I do not have enough vacuum to operate the power brakes at times. I have to be very careful with this. Also, the car has a very hard time even running until I get about 2 minutes of warm up in it. I have to constantly rev the engine for a few minutes until the car will idle. This may not have anything to do with the cam, but maybe more of a tuning issue. We will see.

Anyways, hopefully some of this is helpful to others. I am hoping that there will be a Christmas race this year, but there is talk of it not happening due to the unusually cold weather here lately. I will have some track numbers if they do have the race.

Joe

Reactions: 2 users
  • Sponsors (?)

So about a month ago I started a small build thread for my 331 HCI swap, but in the midst of working through some small problems, I kinda let it go. The car is together, and with the exception of a front end alignment and a far off tune, it is back in order. I thought I would review a few of the parts I used, as some of you had asked for feedback on them.

-Spec aluminum flywheel
Its really not bad. I put a new clutch in at the same time, so everything felt different the first time I drove it, but with under 100 miles on it, I have adjusted to it and it feels normal again. I do have 4.10 gears, and that may help with it.

-Ram Powergrip HD Clutch
I had a BAD experience with Ram in the past and said I would never run one again. However, Tony from Astro Performance recommended it for my setup, and since I trusted him with my last clutch, I followed through again. This is probably the LIGHTEST pedal feel I have ever had with a clutch in my Mustang. The only other change I have made was an extended clutch fork for the McLeod bellhousing, which may help with leverage, I don't know. But so far, I have been very pleased with it. We will see how long it last.

-SVO RPM Extender
I know, its old technology. But, I am having no problem finding my 6600rpm rev limiter with it. I have the AFR set to 13:1, but will not be able to verify it until it is on a dyno (hopefully soon). For $100, I am completely happy with the job it is doing.

-FTI Custom Cam
I am a little hesitant to review this yet for fear of being flogged. It sounds absolutely awesome, and pulls hard to the rev limiter. In all honestly, I couldn't tell you where power comes on at, because the car feels like it has power everywhere. The part I am a little disappointed in is the lack of vacuum. I know everything is a compromise, but I have discovered that I do not have enough vacuum to operate the power brakes at times. I have to be very careful with this. Also, the car has a very hard time even running until I get about 2 minutes of warm up in it. I have to constantly rev the engine for a few minutes until the car will idle. This may not have anything to do with the cam, but maybe more of a tuning issue. We will see.

Anyways, hopefully some of this is helpful to others. I am hoping that there will be a Christmas race this year, but there is talk of it not happening due to the unusually cold weather here lately. I will have some track numbers if they do have the race.

Joe
Awesome. Part of me is not surprised with ed. I know he is great at what he does but sometimes his
cockiness just really turns me off.Which is why initially i didnt just order my cam from him and then after my tuner recommending freezy and chatting with him i was sold on him. I look foward to see how the car does Joe!

Awesome. Part of me is not surprised with ed. I know he is great at what he does but sometimes his
cockiness just really turns me off.Which is why initially i didnt just order my cam from him and then after my tuner recommending freezy and chatting with him i was sold on him. I look foward to see how the car does Joe!

Yeah, Ed is definetly not good about answering questions. I would send an email with three or four questions in it, and I would get an answer to one question. Very short and not much explanation. I had talked to Buddy Rawls too, and next time, that is probably where I will go. I have heard great things about Freezy.

Joe

Last edited:
There are enough talented cam grinders out there that I wouldn't send a nickel to someone I wasn't completely happy with. I used Bullet last and was blown away by Mark's knowledge.

I am glad to hear that you got it all running, what was the solution for the bell/header clearance?

As far as brakes go, you may look into switching to manual. I have a new kit from UPR that I am not using if you decide that's the way you want to go.

There are enough talented cam grinders out there that I wouldn't send a nickel to someone I wasn't completely happy with. I used Bullet last and was blown away by Mark's knowledge.

I am glad to hear that you got it all running, what was the solution for the bell/header clearance?

As far as brakes go, you may look into switching to manual. I have a new kit from UPR that I am not using if you decide that's the way you want to go.

I clearance the bell for the headers, but then I realized the the headers were hitting the passengers side frame rail. I lifted the motor, installed headers, and the motor wouldn't sit back in the engine mounts. I fooled with them for three days before throwing in the towel and putting the shorties back on.

The headers were picked up at a swap meet, so who knows what they were really off of. After I recoup from this cash bleed, i will either buy a NICE set of headers, like kooks, or look for a set of the Anderson big tube shorties.

Joe