Adding Nitrous, Suggestions??

smiller9121

Mar 27, 2011
i have a 94 5.0L bone stock with the exception of flowmaster exhaust. i just purchased a zex dry kit for it, got a good deal at $175 for the whole kit with a full bottle. anyway, i was just looking for some suggestions or warnings. i got the kit because after reading several forums, everyone seems to say that nitrous is the easiest and cheapest way to get more power. i just bought a new 255 lph fuel pump from american muscle, as well as a cold air intake, neither have been installed yet, but i did install the nitrous kit yesterday. i do notice a huge difference from a dead stop, but running a 125 shot, i am not noticing much at higher speeds.

• Sponsors (?)

125 is a slightly big. 100 would be safer. With our pistons I would play it safe. 255 fuel pump is a big pump for stock injectors. Look to up grade those. Than you could put a bigger shot to it. Nitrous is the coolest **** out there just don't be stupid. O ya and brace the car up a bit. Or your doors might not shut. Good luck

125 is a bit much considering your lack of experience with it. Dont know if you did this already but you need a colder plug, lower the gap a bit and make sure you have the timing at stock and use premium fuel. It is a lot of fun but just dont overdue it if its your first experience with it. And it is a huge argument but the internals will take more then the block will anyway. But a lean condition with spray will burn a hyper or forged piston regardless so be cautious with it.

125 is a bit much considering your lack of experience with it. Dont know if you did this already but you need a colder plug, lower the gap a bit and make sure you have the timing at stock and use premium fuel. It is a lot of fun but just dont overdue it if its your first experience with it. And it is a huge argument but the internals will take more then the block will anyway. But a lean condition with spray will burn a hyper or forged piston regardless so be cautious with it.

The instructions that came with my kit said to retard the timing 4 degrees, is that not a good idea? i was looking at getting some NGK TR6 plugs and gapping them at .038, it seems alot of people are saying that is a good setup. what size injectors? and i just bought a AFR gauge so i can keep an eye on it to make sure its not running too lean. are you saying that my stock engine cant handle a 125 shot?

No, the engine can handle a 125 shot, as long as it has enough fuel. I think everyone is saying to start small and go bigger as soon as you know everything is working correctly. The stock injectors should be fine. You should definately retard the timing 4 to 6 degrees. More retard is safer, less retard is pushing it.

Kurt

I used to run the same kit years ago with the 125 jets. I did have 24lb injectors and matching MAF though. Rule of thumb is retard 1.5-2 degrees of timing per 50hp shot. Also best to install a window switch. I had mine set to come on at 3000 rpm and off at 5800 rpm (I think). You could really feel it kick in when you floored it from lower rpms and the nitrous was armed and as soon as 3k hit you'd be thrown back in the seat. The window switch is a safety in case you miss a shift you don't hit the rev limiter with the nitrous flowing.

With the following mods my full weight (3600lbs with driver) car ran consitant 12.5's@112mph in summer heat on a Zex 125hp dry shot....

FMS 65mm TB
cobra intake
24lb injectors
75mm ProM MAF
1.7 roller rockers
underdrive pulleys
mac shorty headers and prochamber
3.55 rear gears
26x10 Hoosier quicktime pro cheater slicks

Ya start small. Fuel fuel and more fuel. Make sure its running right. Don't get greedy with it. Sounds like you have a plan though. Plugs timing and fuel. You got it