Advice Needed

Vaped

Jun 25, 2016
Hey guys, I have a 1999 Mustang GT that I just purchased. Mods include, K&N cold air intake, throttle body spacer, flowmaster exhaust, BBK headers. Mileage is 175,000

I have a few issues that I have searched for, but I can't seem to find a definite answer. I am having to replace the bushing and put another seal in the output tailshaft on the transmission as its leaking and the driveshaft has some play in it but I have that taken care of myself.

My main issue is vibration while driving and on the throttle, off the throttle its nice and smooth. It only happens over 45 mph. I am hoping its just the play in the drive shaft and a new bushing will repair that. The transmission shifts buttery smooth.

Another issue is the RPM's seem to be a bit high at 65 mph. Its around 2500 / 2600 RPM. Even if its got 4.10's in it, that seems to high. Could the Speedo being off by 5 mph ( 70 on speedo, 65 actual ) that I verified through GPS cause the tach to be off?

• Sponsors (?)

If it has a gear swap the speedo may not be spot on. I had a Speedcal in my old 96 GT and it did have a little bit of error...maybe a few miles an hour The speedo gear I had originally for 4.10's was about 5mph off. Your tach is probably close if it isn't bouncing around the gauge.

The vibration felt "in the seat"? That is a shaft issue. U-joints usually especially if there is some play in the shaft.

Thanks CO, I had to put in a new seal in the output tail housing fri, If it leaks, I am going to stick a bushing and new seal in it. I also noticed that the transmission mount had been replaced. I did some researching and saw that if they replaced it with a Anchor brand that it will cause issues with vibration due to hard rubber. I will have to verify tomorrow to see what they replaced it with. I let someone borrow my car ramps a while back and I can't remember who I let borrow them lol, So Going to borrow the father in laws.

have a question fellas. i own a black 2004 ford mustang gt 40th anniv. premium edition. all original engine parts except for the MSD blaster coil packs i put on and the aftermarket starter/alternator. my question is involving the hvac system. two days ago i was at a stop sign then when i took off engine coolant started spraying out the hood all over the windshield. i know the hose leads to the heater core but the hose is coming off a plastic tube pointing up and thats what was blowing coolant out. im being told i need new intake manifold but it just seems stupid to need a new manifold because a little piec of connector tube is broke. anybody know if this is a bolt on part or not? i can actually see a bolt on it so is their like a adapter or something bolt on

image.jpeg
have a question fellas. i own a black 2004 ford mustang gt 40th anniv. premium edition. all original engine parts except for the MSD blaster coil packs i put on and the aftermarket starter/alternator. my question is involving the hvac system. two days ago i was at a stop sign then when i took off engine coolant started spraying out the hood all over the windshield. i know the hose leads to the heater core but the hose is coming off a plastic tube pointing up and thats what was blowing coolant out. im being told i need new intake manifold but it just seems stupid to need a new manifold because a little piec of connector tube is broke. anybody know if this is a bolt on part or not? i can actually see a bolt on it so is their like a adapter or something bolt on. the part on the right that is circled is my problem. this is not my engine though mine has two heater core hoses not one

The intake is a single molded plastic piece. The heater hose nipple (the broken part on the right) is molded DIRECTLY from the plastic intake. I think what you are failing to realize is there's a flexible hose between the two nipples. With the broken intake nipple there isn't enough nipple left to hold a hose clamp.

The bolt in question is to hold the fuel rails down.

I'm sorry but you do need a new intake unless you can find a piece of plastic tubing that just fits the inside diameter of the intake heater nipple. The challenge here is to get a coolant tight seal so the choice of glue would be important.

Note, I have found the 4.6 intake to be easily damaged when over heated. So if the motor did overheat then replacement should be considered just because it's likely there is damage elsewhere.

Note, the 4.6 modular motor needs the heater coolant flow to purge air from the system. That is way it's not recommended to PLUG the heater hoses. If needing to bypass the heater core, LOOP them instead.

An intake replacement does take some time to perform but it's not really so hard to do. I have done (4) now on various Fords owned by my family.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
The intake is a single molded plastic piece. The heater hose nipple (the broken part on the right) is molded DIRECTLY from the plastic intake. I think what you are failing to realize is there's a flexible hose between the two nipples. With the broken intake nipple there isn't enough nipple left to hold a hose clamp.

The bolt in question is to hold the fuel rails down.

I'm sorry but you do need a new intake unless you can find a piece of plastic tubing that just fits the inside diameter of the intake heater nipple. The challenge here is to get a coolant tight seal so the choice of glue would be important.

Note, I have found the 4.6 intake to be easily damaged when over heated. So if the motor did overheat then replacement should be considered just because it's likely there is damage elsewhere.

Note, the 4.6 modular motor needs the heater coolant flow to purge air from the system. That is way it's not recommended to PLUG the heater hoses. If needing to bypass the heater core, LOOP them instead.

An intake replacement does take some time to perform but it's not really so hard to do. I have done (4) now on various Fords owned by my family.
thanks buddy! i kinda wanted an all metal intake anyway.